iCal to Outlook sync not working?

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by siritalks, Oct 20, 2011.

1. siritalks macrumors member

Hi there,

I have just bought an iPhone 4S (last week), and I've decided to set up iCloud so that it syncs my calendars and contacts between my phone, my iMac, and my Macbook.

I am running Outlook Home 2011 for Mac, and I have it working so that iCal and Address Book can read contacts and calendar entries from Outlook, but for some reason it won't work in return.

I want to be able to update something on my phone, that to in turn update my iCal/Address Book on my macs, and that in turn to update Outlook. That is the only step I can't seem to get working.

Any ideas why this would be? As I say, I can create an event in Outlook and almost immediately view it on my phone, but when creating an event on my phone, nothing shows up in Outlook?

Any help would be great.

Thanks!

2. siritalks thread starter macrumors member

Any idea why this would be? As I say, I can add something in Outlook and it'll share to iCal and my phone, but when I add something on my phone, it only shares to iCal.... not Outlook.

I was debating whether it's something straightforward like making sure iCal is my default calendar app. What do you think?

3. arthurjohnson, Oct 21, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 21, 2011

arthurjohnson macrumors newbie

I've done a lot of forum-crawling on the subject of iCloud not syncing to the calendars on Macs and PCs -- in my own case, I couldn't get iCloud to sync with iCal on my Macs and Outlook 2010 on my PC. In the process, I discovered:

1. Many, many problems were apparently the result of overloaded Apple servers. My own problems spontaneously vanished at around 11 am Eastern on 10/20/2011 -- and I then noticed a rash of posts rejoicing in finding some arcane solution. I doubt that all of us suddenly wised up in unison. Rather, Apple threw a switch and gave us the server support we needed. In Cupertino's defense, I would guess they were taken by surprise apropos iPhone activations in the past week.
    to
    2. Thus, if you have been having any problems at all with iCloud sync on a PC, I recommend signing out -- uninstalling iCloud dashboard on your PC -- then reinstalling and signing back in.

3. It pains me to report that Outlook 2011 for Mac users are SOL. I've encountered this bad news in several places, and it has the ring of truth. It seems unfair until you consider the numbers. Lots of people bought Office 2011, but not too many are using Outlook for the Mac.

4. I would also guess, however, that iCloud support is coming to EVERYTHING eventually. I was going to suggest you try Google Calendar, but then I remembered there's no Google Calendar Sync for the Mac.

Honestly, unless you're forced to use Outlook by your employer, I'd ditch it. I've been a PC user for nearly 30 years, and to me, the Mac's native apps are sooooooo much better! I'd pay major bucks to duplicate their functionality on my PC, so I could give up Outlook on ALL my platforms! Don't mean to offend, but have you considered this?