iCal -- "urgent assistance"

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by curtmm1, Jun 26, 2013.

1. curtmm1 macrumors newbie

Appears I received a SPAM BOT. Loaded an appointment to accept/reject. Without looking, I rejected the appointment and it generated an e-mail to:
    safir.adams@gmail.com

"....has declined your iCal event invitation to the event: Urgent Assistance, scheduled for June 20, 2013 at 11:00 AM (GMT+00:00)."

This appears to be something that at least confirmed my e-mail account or may have pulled data from my computer.

Has anyone heard of this?

2. Hrhnick macrumors member

I would just change my password, and make sure its secure with a random string of mixed case letters numbers and if applicable, symbols.

3. CylonGlitch macrumors 68030

CylonGlitch

Anyone can send you an invite. Mail will parse it and put it on the calendar. I know that the latest calendar you can decline it without notification. But it does sound like a new method of validating the email address. I don't think they will get much information back besides the rejection email and thus confirmation that your email is valid.

I'll have to watch for this and see if I get anything like it, I get thousands of spam messages a day, haven't seen anything like this.

But also remember, it could be the other's computer is infected with something and somehow your email address was found there and it's trying every email it finds to look for more vulnerabilities. I'm would guess it could tell from the rejection email that you're on a mac, that may disqualify you from future attacks (in it's 'mind').

4. curtmm1 thread starter macrumors newbie

response

thanks ... hadn't heard or seen this type of problem.