iCall data loss - NEVER use iCall

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by hossel, Jul 8, 2012.

1. hossel macrumors newbie

Hi everyone who uses iCal or thinks about using iCall,

When you upgrade from one to another version of OSX (e.g. 10.5 to 10.6 in my case), you loose the last 3 to 4 months of entries in your calendar. And the problem is: you can't bring it back, not with backups from iCall, not with backups from Time Machine and not with tricks. I am going to migrate all data left to Outlook calendar and hope that is more reliable... I had iCall problems before and lots of people write about data loss with iCall.

When you have a regular backups made from iCal, you can restore them, but loading a iCal back up from a date before my upgrade to 10.6, it doesn't bring back my lost data. Even when I make a clean install back to 10.5 and restore the iCall back ups I have from every day in the last year (i have a script in place): the lost data is never there. Trying another option, that should work without any doubt: recreating my Machintosh HD from time machine to a day before I upgraded to 10.6: also doesn't bring the lost data back. But it was really there on that day where I 'time machined' back to... This is so weird, because time machine just copies back the EXACT image from that day... Recreating the image from time machine from a month ago: same result.

I searched and searched, cleaned my iCall cache, didn't work. I found all the separate .ics files from my calender in the time machine, reloaded those in iCall, but none of my lost data is there. I think at some point iCall just can't handle the amount of data stored and let's data fall out when copied. This means whatever it recreated on a time machine or an iCall back up, it's not complete.

This means lots of nice little stories about my son saying his first words, my other son having his first days at school, all my appointments for the last three months, personal notes etc. I use iCal as a diary and as a family calendar. This is a VERY unpleasant experience. And not to forget: Besides the data loss, it will take you lots of nights and weekends to try and reinstall osx, load back ups, use time machine. You secured yourself so well with back up scripts, time machine, but iCall just messes around with you.

2. Mal macrumors 603

Mal

Many people use iCal on a daily basis, including myself, and have never experienced problems like that. Before you tell everyone else not to use a software program and that it's just messing with you and you can't get it back, remember that your experience probably isn't typical and that perhaps there are troubleshooting steps that you could have taken to fix the issue.

If you have a legitimate question and would like help, by all means post, but please don't come on here and tell everyone not to use iCal simply because you had a problem and didn't know how to fix it.

As for the actual issue you had, I don't know if it's too late to fix, since you didn't give any timeline, but did you try opening any of the .ics files from your backups in another calendaring program, or in Google Calendar (for instance)?

jW

3. cmdrmac macrumors regular

I've been using iCal for the past 6 years without any issues. Did you happen to see any error messages while upgrading? Did you have any problems while upgrading OS's?

4. hossel thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the tip Mal but unfortunately it doesn't work. I have taken all .ics file in the library, from different dates on my time machine back up and tried to import these (over 3000 items) into outlook, google calendar, but my data really seems to be lost.

5. NMF macrumors 6502a

NMF

You'd have to be really stupid to use a calendar program and not have it sync anywhere. I mean seriously? Apple has iCloud built right in now. Why weren't you using that, or even Google calendar? It was really dumb of you to rely on local data only. Really dumb.

6. Shrink macrumors G3

Shrink

I use iCal daily, and have never experienced a single problem

I also back it up on Time Machine, and back that up on Time Capsule.

CYA

:D