iCall is comming....soon...

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by MadMac84, Nov 20, 2008.

1. MadMac84 macrumors member

I got sick of waiting so I emailed iCall directly and got an almost immediate response back. Here is the email:

"Thanks for you interest and, especially, your patience.

We submitted the application to Apple for their review weeks back. We are waiting for Apple right now.

As soon as we recieve the green light from Apple, we will let you know.

Best,
    The iCall Team"

So it looks like Apple needs to get their act together on their App reviews. If this is true that they submitted it weeks ago then there is no reason it shouldn't be reviewed and approved by now.

For anyone that doesn't know what iCall is, you'll probably have some interest in this program. You can talk over WiFi connections for free. Better yet, you can recieve a call over the cell network and transfer it to WiFi. You can also go the other way and transfer back to cellular. Its great to save minutes or to have better coverage in places that have poor cell service and you drop calls. Its unlike any other VoIP app for iPhone, in that this one is free for any domestic calls.

2. aethelbert macrumors 601

You forgot the asterisk part, so I added it for you.

3. MadMac84 thread starter macrumors member

You sure? I went looking around their site again and I honestly can't find where they require a monthly subscription. Please show me if you know where it is. That would be majorly disappointing since I really have been excited about this since early summer.

4. bigjnyc macrumors 603

bigjnyc

doesnt this screw over AT&T if Apple approves this app?

5. MadMac84 thread starter macrumors member

Yea, maybe so, but VoIP was already approved for over WiFi. There should be no reason why the app isn't approved. There are other apps out there that do the same thing, but they charge for it. I checked again, I can't find anywhere where they would charge you anything. Calls within the USA would be free.

6. juanster macrumors 68020

juanster

yes as far as I knew Voip can only be used while on wifi not on 3g or edge conections.

7. aethelbert macrumors 601

You can't find it on their site (as they try to push the free idea), but when you actually try to use it, you have to be registered. I read a while back about how there was a planned 30 day free trial for the iphone app, but it definitely won't be free. No VoIP service to phone numbers is truly free, at least nothing that's worth using.

The status on this app has been "waiting for apple to approve" for ages. Honestly, I'm not expecting it to be released.

8. andreab35 macrumors 6502a

andreab35

Wirelessly posted (iPhone: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5F136 Safari/525.20)

It would be totally awesome if the app does get approved by Apple. The best thing about it is that it's free!
    It would be awesome for areas that do t have great service but excellent WiFi.
    I'll keep my fingers crossed!

9. adds macrumors newbie

There was an extended discussion of iCall plans on their Facebook page a few weeks ago (you can follow the link on their website under iPhone beta). There will be a pay as you go plan (with no number) and a unlimited monthly plan with a number--I think the figure that was mentioned was $10. Someone from iCall said that calls on the pay as you go would be cheaper than Skype or Truphone. He also said that they had a webpage with information about all their plans ready to go as soon as Apple approves the app and had no reason to think Apple would reject it.

10. Vegastouch macrumors 603

Vegastouch

T-Mobile has this in their phones with wi-fi at any T-mobile hot spot. They dont have iCall i dont think but you can make phones calls on wifi with their phones that have it. Not sure how it works(iCall or not) but it does.

You guys just need to switch to a carrier that is better and that isnt AT&T ;)

11. kas23 macrumors 603

kas23

The way I see it is, AT&T already gets a large chunk of our money every month. Shouldn't they in fact be happy that we are still paying them money to make phone calls on a non-AT&T network? Since we are making calls over Wi-Fi, it won't cost them a penny and it would tax their network less, all the while we are still paying them. It's actually a genius idea for AT&T to allow this. It would be like someone paying a taxi driver for a ride, but then having somebody else drive them to their destination.

12. pavvento macrumors 6502

I think AT&T will actually gain because of this. I don't think that there will be a large amount of people who will downgrade their voice plan because of this application. What it will do, is hopefully (for AT&T) decrease the amount of complaints they receive because of coverage because some people will use this instead of bouncing between 0 and 1 bar.

13. nic63impss macrumors newbie

U would need icall since ATT is horrible network, Join In with the Blackberry Storm

14. leodavinci0 macrumors 6502

For those who use the VoIP function of the Fring app, which is called SIP, how is iCall different? Fring even works on ipod touches, allowing voice calls using an external mic.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GrQggKrwXIc