Icall on Ipod Touch

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by Tom Foolery, Jul 31, 2008.

1. Tom Foolery macrumors regular

I was just wondering if it will be possible to successfully run icall on the ipod touch. since ipod touch can run the same apps the only issue in the way is whether the ipod touch will be able to recognize a microphone input

i realize this is a repost, the original didn't get any responses so i post in a new section

2. dasikes macrumors 6502a

dasikes

There is no mic input, and Apple would never allow that to happen.

3. mrgreen4242 macrumors 601

mrgreen4242

There's already a ton of information about how to mod up existing iPod mics to work with the touch. People had VoIP working on the touch before the App store launched. I can't see why Apple would care if you used VoIP on your iPod. They don't get monthly payments from ATT anymore, so they likely make the same profit on an iPhone and iPod touch sale, and they make the same amount from an App sale for either.

4. dasikes macrumors 6502a

dasikes

And that makes sense and all, but I just don't see Apple doing anything like that.

5. LtRammstein macrumors 6502a

LtRammstein

Apple usually takes a backseat on things like this.

It's in a gray area for a lot of people. Downside to adding a mic to the Touch is it can be considered "breaking" the iPod, and causing you to not get serviced by Apple.

Also, in my opinion, I feel that Apple should care if mics are put on the iPod Touch. It draws them way from AT&T, and Apple loses that little bit of money from the iPhone sale.

But that's me...

I personally agree that the Touch should have VoIP support and Apple should at least look into a mic for the Touch.

6. dasikes macrumors 6502a

dasikes

Yeah, don't misunderstand me in thinking that Apple won't offer this: I want them to, and I think they should! I'm just not very optimistic about it.

7. Tom Foolery thread starter macrumors regular

but what about using the apple iphone headphones with the ipod touch. you wouldn't nee to mod your iphone then

8. dasikes macrumors 6502a

dasikes

I'm fairly sure that the headphone jacks are different. No evidence to back that up, but it's an intriguing idea. It sounds like the kind of thing that someone has already tried (surely) without success.

Any of y'all iPhone/Touch owners given this a try?

9. imfrog2002 macrumors 6502

I have an iPhone and Touch. I'd be willing to give it a try. The iPhone earbuds will work as regular earbuds, but I don't know about recording sound. I'm installing requall to see if it works. I'll edit with results.

EDIT: Okay. requall is messed up. I used Jott instead. MAJOR FAIL.

[​IMG]

Jott-asploded. Yeah. *cough*

EDIT2: Okay. Major no-no. I just had to reboot my iPod because it crashed. Yikes.

10. dasikes macrumors 6502a

dasikes

:eek:

That makes me afraid to try!

11. Makaveli98 macrumors newbie

It works just fine I use the icall app on my iPod touch all the time.....and for the mic I use the headphones that came with the iPod which has a built in mic in it..... Works pretty good.

12. skypark macrumors member

ear phones and mic

Ipod touch, I ordered my earphones with a mic on them right from Apple store and I use skype to make phone calls. The sound for both side is great.... works great !!
    Got to love it