iCarbons Keyboard Skin rMBP? What the Pros said!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by renosausage, Oct 31, 2012.

1. renosausage macrumors regular

I currently have the Black Top and Bottom iCarbons Skin on my Retina MBP.

I love it, but I would love to complete the design with a Keyboard and TackPad Skin.

I emailed iCarbons and this what they had the say about the skin:

Dear iCarbons,

I currently have a iCarbons Black Carbon Fiber Skin for the top and bottom of my 15" Retina Macbook Pro.

I would really like to also purchase a keyboard and trackpad cover to complete the package, but lately I have heard that keyboard covers could possibly scratch the display on the new 15" Retina Macbook Pro.

I just wanted to know if this has been an issue with your product and should I consider this before purchasing your keyboard cover.

Thank You,
    Ryan Seth Locklear

Hello Ryan,

We have not had any issues ourselves, nor had any complaints from customers regarding the keyboard skin affecting the screen of the macbook.

Since the skin is so thin, it does not even touch the screen.

Thanks,
    Lisa

It sounds pretty convincing, but has anyone on this thread had any experience with the iCarbons Keyboard Skin???

2. aman20177, Apr 11, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 2, 2017
  3. johnnnw macrumors 65816

johnnnw

I'm interested in getting a skin, is the iCarbon one thick? I want something quality.

4. aman20177, Apr 12, 2013

aman20177 macrumors regular

5. renosausage thread starter macrumors regular

I currently have a White iCarbons Skin on my 15" rMBP.

I did have the Black iCarbons Skin, but I had to remove it after Apple replaced my LG screen with a Samsung.

No residue was left on the laptop after removal. In fact, the aluminum finish looked brand new just as I had left it.

Installing the iCarbon Skin is a real hassle and takes some dedicated time. DO NOT rush through the installation because you will mess up you skin.

DO NOT stretch the skin while you apply it and DO NOT heat skin unless you are trying to get the round corners to stick properly.

Watch as many youtube videos as you can and try to get very familiar with the installation process.

Overall the skin is absolutely beautiful and protects without adding the extra bulk.

It adds grip to the laptop and leaves a scratch resistant finish. You can also addd other decals on top of the iCarbons to spice up your machine. My current decal represents the college I'm attending.

I absolutely recommend this product especially over hard case coverings that allow dirt to get between your case and laptop. That dust will cause permanent scratches, but the iCarbons leaves your machine scratch free.

The interior skin also does not interfere with the display. I've had my carbons on for 5 months with no scratches in the display at all. I clean my display everyday with a microfiber cloth and I constantly search for scratches that may have come from the iCarbons skin. So far I have found none.

The trackpad skin is also a nice feature. It seems like it would make scrolling a lot harder, but I actually love the textured feel compared to the slick glass.

I haven't noticed any heat issues with the machine. I play COD4 and Starcraft almost everyday with no heat issues.

My only concern about the iCarbons skin is that they recently removed the Apple Cutout Logo from their products.

This cutout looks much better than just covering the logo with a solid piece of Carbon Fiber, but despite this change they are the best skins for your Apple products.

I have bought their skins for my iPhones, Macnbooks, Apple Remote, Apple TV, and even my kindle.

6. aman20177, Apr 12, 2013

:)

7. renosausage thread starter macrumors regular

You're Welcome :D

I have some advice that I think would be helpful.

This advice really only applies to the Bottom section of your rMBP

Anyway, when you install the bottom skin on your rMBP, try not to press the corners down until the very end.

Basically, what you need to do is make sure everything thing else on the bottom is pressed down and in place.

Then go to each corner and FIRST heat the carbon skin at the corner with the blow dryer, then SECOND press it down with your palm and hold it there.

If you press it down first without applying heat, it will wrinkle and you will never get those wrinkles out.

DO NOT remove any corner if the carbon skin is still hot. If you do this then you will stretch the skin.

Overall, it is truly a pain to put on. I've installed 6 carbons so far and many times i've had to call and get a replacement because I messed up.

The last thing you want is to wait all this time to get your iCarbon skin and then have to wait again because it tore or got stretched.

Just take your time and watch as many videos as possible.

8. renosausage thread starter macrumors regular

9. aman20177, Apr 13, 2013

10. aman20177, Apr 21, 2013

11. renosausage thread starter macrumors regular

It takes a lot of effort to remove the skin once you have it fully installed.

It feels like your gonna break your Macbook trying to get that skin off, but if you warm it up with a hairdryer first then removing the skin becomes pretty easy to do.

Once you have the skin fully installed, you cannot reuse that skin again. You will most likely tear the skin trying to get it off.

I like the fact that its hard to remove. Since the skin sticks so well, it keeps the edges from fraying and lifting off the laptop.

12. aman20177, Apr 21, 2013

13. johnnnw macrumors 65816

johnnnw

Highly doubt it

14. aman20177, Apr 21, 2013

15. johnnnw macrumors 65816

johnnnw

There's other ways of finding the serial number so don't worry too much about that.

16. dastinger macrumors 6502a

dastinger

Don't worry too much about that. My bottom case needed to be replaced and a genius got the job done in 30 minutes.. no need to say that the new bottom piece does not have the serial number. Since it was a job done by Apple, I don't think there's an issue with that ;)

17. aman20177, Apr 22, 2013