Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AuroraProject

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 19, 2008
Right there
Today I'm taking a look at the iCarez HD Clear screen protector for the 6 Plus. I picked these up from Amazon for $6.95 for a three pack. In the package you'll find three screen protectors, a cleaning cloth, a squeegee card, installation instructions, a pair of rubber bands, a hinge method sticker set, and a dust removal sticker set.
The HD Clear set does not have a cutout for the front camera, which is actually why I bought these. At the top you have a notch for the proximity sensor and a cutout for the earpiece, on the bottom you have an open cutout for the home button.
Installation was easy, and I had no problem getting a good alignment thanks to the included hinge stickers and rubber bands. I removed a Spigen Crystal to install the iCarez, and I find the iCarez to be slightly wider. I much prefer the cutouts and fit of the iCarez, but I prefer the way the Spigen feels, this may change after a few days of use though.
For $7 these are a decent value. I had a difficult time trying to get an actual picture of the protector, I can try again this weekend if anyone wants more detailed images.

15230166007_c3b133c18d_c.jpg

15229954889_2cbfd09f9e_c.jpg

15393656226_a50834512b_c.jpg

trek360

macrumors 6502
Oct 18, 2011
Thanks for the info. Can you describe a bit more as to how this differs from the Spigen? And any comments about screen coverage and what the cut outs looks like?

AuroraProject

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 19, 2008
Right there
Sure, the iCarez is a bit wider than the Spigen. With the Spigen I could see where the protector ended and there was a definite line down each edge of the screen. With the iCarez the viewable portion of the screen is completely covered.
Cutouts are about the same, but the iCarez lacks the camera cutout, and seems like it's a little tighter around the home button.
I'll try to get some comparison shots of both off the phone this weekend.

mrgossett

macrumors 6502
Mar 18, 2008
I have that same protector on my 6, from Amazon. It is crystal clear with no rainbow effects, and looks great. It installed easily (in a steamy bathroom) with no dust or bubbles, and I got a virtually perfect placement on the phone (not easy for me, since I'm not the best at installing these). As to the feel, at first it felt a little bit draggy (as a lot of screen protectors do), but after some use it smoothed out and it feels and works great. It's as good or better than some higher-priced ones that I've tried in the past.

ZipZap

macrumors 603
Dec 14, 2007
This is a good protector and I have posted references to it on other threads. For the money its quite a deal.

The fit is much better than Spigen and others, and the alignment system virtually guarantees a perfect install.

Yes, they could have more oleophobic in the coating but its actually gotten better with use.

LFCYNWA

macrumors regular
Jun 14, 2012
Today I'm taking a look at the iCarez HD Clear screen protector for the 6 Plus. I picked these up from Amazon for $6.95 for a three pack. In the package you'll find three screen protectors, a cleaning cloth, a squeegee card, installation instructions, a pair of rubber bands, a hinge method sticker set, and a dust removal sticker set.
The HD Clear set does not have a cutout for the front camera, which is actually why I bought these. At the top you have a notch for the proximity sensor and a cutout for the earpiece, on the bottom you have an open cutout for the home button.
Installation was easy, and I had no problem getting a good alignment thanks to the included hinge stickers and rubber bands. I removed a Spigen Crystal to install the iCarez, and I find the iCarez to be slightly wider. I much prefer the cutouts and fit of the iCarez, but I prefer the way the Spigen feels, this may change after a few days of use though.
For $7 these are a decent value. I had a difficult time trying to get an actual picture of the protector, I can try again this weekend if anyone wants more detailed images.

Can you put a higher contrast on that picture? I can't make out where the screen begins and the protector ends. Also is there a full cutout near the home button?

AuroraProject

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 19, 2008
Right there
Here's a few more pics. First is Spigen top, Spigen bottom, then iCarez top, and iCarez bottom.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 189

mrgossett

macrumors 6502
Mar 18, 2008
Mine has a larger cutout at the top that doesn't cover the front camera, which I like. But mine is for the 6, not the Plus.

trek360

macrumors 6502
Oct 18, 2011
So my iCarez screen protector arrived and I have it installed on my new iPhone 6. I totally agree with the OP. I really like this screen protector and would recommend it over the Spigen. One of the primary reasons is coverage and iCarez seems to cover more of the screen and stands out less as it should. It goes right up to where the screen margin starts to curve. The quality is excellent and I am pleased with the cutouts. There is no cutout for the front facing camera but that has not caused any problems. I like the tighter fit around the home button as well and it has caused no issues with Touch ID. To me there is a similar feel between the Spigen and iCarez.

I used the Spigen on my 5s and power support on my previous phones. I think the iCarez is a worthy competitor and at a more economical cost (<$6 amazon). I had no problem with installation.

ZipZap

macrumors 603
Dec 14, 2007
So my iCarez screen protector arrived and I have it installed on my new iPhone 6. I totally agree with the OP. I really like this screen protector and would recommend it over the Spigen. One of the primary reasons is coverage and iCarez seems to cover more of the screen and stands out less as it should. It goes right up to where the screen margin starts to curve. The quality is excellent and I am pleased with the cutouts. There is no cutout for the front facing camera but that has not caused any problems. I like the tighter fit around the home button as well and it has caused no issues with Touch ID. To me there is a similar feel between the Spigen and iCarez.

I used the Spigen on my 5s and power support on my previous phones. I think the iCarez is a worthy competitor and at a more economical cost (<$6 amazon). I had no problem with installation.

I am confused. my iCarez looks like picture #1 above…is that not the hole from the front facing camera? Maybe the protector is difference for the 6 vs the 6+

AuroraProject

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 19, 2008
Right there
I am confused. my iCarez looks like picture #1 above…is that not the hole from the front facing camera? Maybe the protector is difference for the 6 vs the 6+

Picture 1 is the Spigen, and it has two holes and a notch, holes for earpiece, and the front camera, and the notch for the proximity sensor. There must be different versions of the iCarez.

Trebuin

macrumors 65816
Jun 3, 2008
Central Cali
It seems companies get these from major distributors and repackage them, sort of like your walmart/wallgreens/safeway branding stuff. Except marking down, they mark up.

trek360

macrumors 6502
Oct 18, 2011

That's interesting. Mine (iP 6) looks like Picture #3. There probably are different versions and it's possible they have made some adjustments once they had the actual phones.

Chairman.Jobbie

macrumors 6502a
Sep 9, 2011
I got this screen protector. I liked the packaging and the installation process... however, it was a disaster - worst installation of a screen protector ever. It was totally fully of bubbles. Not sure if it was me or the product. It comes in a three pack so i might give it another try but I'm also wondering if the coating apple puts on the screen played a part in it not sticking (and why its £4 for a 3 pack) - it hardly stuck at all no matter how much i pressed with the card thing. Maybe i should wait for the glass protectors...

runtohell121

macrumors 6502
Mar 12, 2010
^If there's bubbles.. it's usually you. You need to clean the screen really well, free of dust. Use tape if you have to for removing bubbles, aligning the screen protector, etc.

AuroraProject

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 19, 2008
Right there
I got this screen protector. I liked the packaging and the installation process... however, it was a disaster - worst installation of a screen protector ever. It was totally fully of bubbles. Not sure if it was me or the product. It comes in a three pack so i might give it another try but I'm also wondering if the coating apple puts on the screen played a part in it not sticking (and why its £4 for a 3 pack) - it hardly stuck at all no matter how much i pressed with the card thing. Maybe i should wait for the glass protectors...

I'm wondering if you had it flipped over. When you lay it on the phone before putting the rubber bands on you should see the #2 label facing up.

Kisey

macrumors 6502a
Jul 9, 2010
I think I'm gonna try this out. I like that my BSE is edge to edge, but I don't like that tacky feeling. It's hard to go back after using a tempered glass.

Chairman.Jobbie

macrumors 6502a
Sep 9, 2011
^If there's bubbles.. it's usually you. You need to clean the screen really well, free of dust. Use tape if you have to for removing bubbles, aligning the screen protector, etc.

The screen was SUPER CLEAN and aligned perfectly with the tape. Alignment wasn't the issue.. just the bubbles. Ill try again.

----------

I'm wondering if you had it flipped over. When you lay it on the phone before putting the rubber bands on you should see the #2 label facing up.

There is a chance i think i did this ... :eek: because the top side did feel alittle rough now that you mentioned it ... hmm.. thanks for pointing this out. Ill try installing again :eek:

arliu

macrumors regular
May 1, 2011
i had the initial icarez 6+ hd clear and the cut outs werent this good. The top basically has a bic cut out and the home button cut out wasnt as close as your picture. I switched it with the ps clear and cant be happier.

cheapa55

macrumors 6502a
Oct 29, 2007
They must have 2 versions. I just received my order from amazon last night. I ordered a set for the 6 and for the 6 plus. The 6 had a large rectangular cut on the top. the 6 plus looks like pic 3 and 4.

Install was the easiest I've ever done. I have installed many wet and dry installs before and this was the quickest and dust free. I did get bubbles but they were very easy to remove. It's crystal clear. I was unsure about the cut but once installed it's not too noticeable.

The touch was a little sticky at first but I imagine it was due to the "adhesive" of the extra protective layer that was on it. after using it for less than half day, it's nice and smooth.

Thanks OP!

webworks415

macrumors 6502
Dec 20, 2008
I bought this same 3 pack on Amazon just because they were around $5 and I wanted a temp. protector until I decided on a glass one. I didn't like how the cutout is so big for the FaceTime cam/speaker. Also I noticed that it scratched easily after a few days of use. I never put the phone in my pocket with other objects and it's not like I have long nails.

It's just your average screen protector, nothing special. I'm nervous of getting scratches on that big exposed area at the top. These will just serve as temp protectors for me.

I love their slogan

Care mobile, care you more !

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.