Ice Clean left Big Mess

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by micart671, Mar 16, 2008.

1. micart671 macrumors newbie

Hello Everyone!

I tried cleaning my Mac up and used a program called IceClean. Since doing that I've been left with a big mess to clean up!

All my Icons have become ghosted and won't open with a double click anymore.
    They will open from within applications.
    All folders end up with a .DS_STORE file inside them once opened and they can't be trashed... they just keep popping up??
    There are numerous other files floating around that can't be trashed because apparently i don't have sufficient privileges???
    e.g.
    .hotfiles.btree
    .Spotlight-V100
    .trashes
    .vol
    .VolumeIcon.icns

Any help will be much appreciated... Ta:(

2. NAG macrumors 68030

NAG

First off, I recommend not using any of these "maintenance" programs. They don't do anything specially and they run the risk of completely messing up your system for no real benefit. It is like zapping your pram but with a chance to mess up your system.

Anyway, you probably toggled the option to show hidden files. I'm not familiar with the interface so just look for something that says show hidden or something similar. Make sure that is off. Oh, and restart your computer afterwards.

3. micart671 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thankyou!

Thanks.
    Could you suggest the best way to keep system running true please?
    I've just discovered my mac has the lower memory slot failure problem, and am trying to compromise with the ol'girl!
    Regards
    Mic

4. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

All those files listed are required. .DS_Store is the information on how you want your folders displayed. .hotfiles.btree is part of the hard drives organization and should be returned to the location it came from.
    .Spotlight-V100 is your Spotlight index and should also be returned.
    .trashes is the UNIX equilvent of the .Trash folder (The Trash in the dock) and should be returned. .vol contains information relating to your drive, and how it is layed out. .VolumeIcon.icns contains your icons.

The reason all your folders are ghosted is because it has allowed you to view the hidden and system files on your system. When that happens, all the normal files dim and the hidden files appear like regular files so they are more easily recognized.

You have really screwed up your system, it would take hours to explain how to fix it. NEVER use free "cleaning apps" as some of them are as simple as rm -rf.

The only thing you need to do on a regular basis is repairing permissions. There is a utility to remove extra languages, but that is about the only thing you really should do to prolong the life of the machine.

TEG

5. NAG macrumors 68030

NAG

This one isn't malicious. But then again it doesn't do anything special either.

Now about your memory problem. Can we have more specifics about your machine to try to help you there?

6. orpheus1120 macrumors 65816

orpheus1120

Stop wasting time on solving this. Do a clean install and be done with it.

7. micart671 thread starter macrumors newbie

Screwed things up

Um... no i haven't really screwed things up (TEG). As suggested, i turned hidden files back to hidden and all is good, thanks.
    About the memory problem (NAG), i've discovered there is a problem with 15" powerbooks dropping out the lower memory slot and that's exactly what's happened to mine. Thanks for your advice!
    and Orpheus stop wasting my time, with your time wasting advice, Ta

8. Colossus macrumors member

I use Onyx. If you need to purge the RAM do it at boot-up. Command Key+Option Key+P+R. It'll go through it's initial start-up and restart again. When it restarts, release all keys.

FYI, never force quit any clean-up application while it's running.