ice hockey skates...know anything?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by tobefirst, Jan 20, 2008.

1. tobefirst macrumors 68040

tobefirst

I'm thinking about getting a pair of ice hockey skates, but, to be honest, I don't know anything about them. I'd like a pair that isn't too expensive, that I can use to work on my skating, with the eventual goal of possibly playing in some local stick and puck games.

What should I be looking for in a hockey skate toward the low end of the price scale? I just don't understand the differences between all of the technologies involved as well as which companies make the best skates.

Can anyone help? I'll be happy to answer any questions to guide your suggestions. Thanks!

2. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

I'd look into getting some Bauers or CCMs, although I don't know much about the technologies involved.

3. nickster9224 macrumors 6502a

nickster9224

where are you from? you can goto your local sporting goods store now and get them 50-60% off. i got a pair of eastons reg 99$ for 35$ last year.

4. nicque macrumors regular

i'd try some ccm tacks, i just bought a pair under $100, and most kids in my league have them

5. it5five macrumors 65816

it5five

It's been years since I've skated, but if you stick to CCM or Bauer you'll be okay. Those are the two biggies when it comes to hockey skates.

6. tobefirst thread starter macrumors 68040

tobefirst

Thanks for the suggestions, all of you. Now I just need to know more about the technologies involved and what makes a $200 skate that much better than a $75 pair.

I'm in St. Louis, MO...not exactly a hockey hotbed. :) There are, however, a few hockey shops around town that I could stop into. I just don't want them to tell me that I need something I really don't.

7. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

I really don't know the technology involved, but in many cases, I think this "technology" is bull****. :)

There's great stuff used in running shoes, but other than the fit of the shoe, arch support (I have flat feet), I don't think there's much difference between different brands, as long as you stay with certain brands, and within a certain price bracket.

Same goes for running shirts, basketballs, ice skates, etc...

8. thejadedmonkey macrumors 604

thejadedmonkey

I got my Nike ice skates on sale for $35 from the Sports Authority. I figured, even if they're pieces of crap, like the running shoes I buy at Wal*Mart, they'll do their job, and when they break, I won't be upset.

To me it was the equivalent of getting $200 running shoes or $10 running shoes. For me, buying the more expensive ones would be throwing away $190, and they'd work about 80% as well as the more expensive ones. I draw the same comparison with skates.

As an aside, make sure you're not like me and actually use them. I think I've used mind twice since I got them, and I don't even know where they are now :(

9. tobefirst thread starter macrumors 68040

tobefirst

Then I guess it's a good thing you didn't buy the $200 ones, huh?

(; I have a beautiful outdoor rink near me that I plan to skate on until it closes in March (I think). Then I'll have to find an indoor (not nearly as much fun) rink.

10. adk macrumors 68000

adk

Since you don't seem to be too serious about skating and are just getting into the sport, don't bother with hockey shops. You'll be fine with picking up a pair of skates from Sports Authority, Dick's or something along those lines. You'll probably be able to pick up a decent pair of bauers or CCMs for well under $100.