Ice tea spill and rebuild NEED HELP

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by uurxin, Jan 28, 2012.

1. uurxin macrumors newbie

So my wife spilled ice tea on my mid 2010 15" MBP. It was shut off immediately and left upside down on towels for a week. after which i tried to start power it on... no luck.

so i figured since its dead i would take it apart to see what the damage was. lots of stains and residue on everything. so i took my time and disassembled everything down to removing the display. i soaked all boards in distilled water and lab grade IPA and dried everything. I reassembled and no power button, but then i figured the batt might be low and plugged in the AC power and "bong" it came to life!

only problem was that not every key worked on the keyboard. no P, return, power button or function keys. Thinking the topcase was bad i purchased a tested used topcase... reassembled and the same thing.

Is there something special i have to do on a fresh start up after a rebuild or is my logic board shot?

I appreciate any help

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Try connecting a USB keyboard to see if it works.

3. jcrandall23 macrumors newbie

If it's not working correctly with a known good top case / keyboard then the problem is most likely with the keyboard ribbon connector on the logic board. It can be tricky to get the cable seated in there correctly or there could be some residue from the spill left inside. I'd try reseating the cable (it's helpful to use a piece of clear tape to pull it fully into the connector) and inspecting the connector for any lingering residue.

4. uurxin thread starter macrumors newbie

jcrandall23 you got it! i took your advice and IT WORKS! I even rebuilt it with the old case.