Iceland Trip?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by puma1552, Apr 5, 2016.

1. puma1552 macrumors 601

Was watching The Wonder List on CNN last week and the place featured was Iceland.

Looked interesting, and a place few people seem to travel to.

So I got online and found direct flights in November for a mere $610 roundtrip for a direct flight, with good flight times to boot. I realize the days are "short" in November (sunrise around 9:30-10:00 AM, sunset around 4:00 PM, which isn't THAT much shorter than the Twin Cities (8ish to 4:30ish) and it's "cold" in November (average lows of 30F-35F which is a cakewalk). This may be why it's so cheap though, but that's fine.

Anyone been? What's good, what's bad, what's worth seeing/skipping? This would be a solo trip for around a week, based out of Reykjavik of course. Am fine doing day trips for nature stuff or whatever outside the city. I hear Reykjavik knows how to party at night too?

2. Limey77 macrumors regular

Iceland is amazing, but very, very, very expensive.

There are many incredible natural features to see. From hot springs, to glaciers, waterfalls to ice tunnels, lava fields, vast mountains and of course the northern lights.

I note you mention the length of days, it's worth bearing in mind that Iceland is a lot less built up, so outside of the heart of Reykjavik it will be much darker and given it is a tiny island in the North Atlantic, the winds will be much fiercer - making it feel much colder.

I've been there in late November/early December and it is the only place where I have literally (and I mean literally) blown off my feet and onto my ass.

I don't want to deter you as it is a wonderful country and I loved it. But don't be surprised at laying $15 for a beer or $25 for a mixed drink.

Yes Reykjavik knows how to party, in fact they smoke more weed than anywhere else in Europe, but it is not cheap. Great clubs, bars and restaurants but no genuine five star hotels. Some four or even 4.5 but no five star properties.

If you're serious about going then let me know (I work for a luxury travel company in London) and I'll happily give you some suggestions of places to go and things to see and do. I have some amazing stories of things we've done in Iceland.