Icelandic Prices - What a deal!

sebisworld

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 24, 2003
344
0
Okay, for all of you who think your local Apple reseller is expensive, check out these prices from Reykjavik, Iceland. I laughed so hard I almost died.

Code:
iPod Mini 4GB      424.43 USD -> 120% more than in the US
iPod Mini 6GB  	   530.91 USD -> 112% more than in the US
PowerBook 12"    2,357.78 USD ->  57% more than in the US 
PowerBook 17"    4,106.39 USD ->  52% more than in the US
PowerMac 2.7     4,714.58 USD ->  57% more than in the US
iPod Shuffle 1GB   272.30 USD ->  80% more than in the US
iPod Photo         987.29 USD ->  97% more than in the US
iMac 20"         3,193.87 USD ->  77% more than in the US
On a side note, Macs are extremly popular here.
 

MacSA

macrumors 68000
Jun 4, 2003
1,804
5
UK
I thought everything in Iceland was very expensive compared to the rest of the world. Even food.
 

dubbz

macrumors 68020
Sep 3, 2003
2,284
0
Alta, Norway
Ouch. I was thinking maybe it was a tax/VAT thing, but it's way more expensive than in Norway, and you VAT isn't as high as 25%, is it?
 

Willy S

macrumors 6502
May 8, 2005
393
0
These prices are just rediculous! Apple should open a store or change its reseller over there.
 

sebisworld

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 24, 2003
344
0
Yes, everything is pretty expenive here - but not quite as outrageous as Apple's prices. The VAT rate is 24%.

These are the official prices from Apple. There are no resellers here - there is only one small "Apple store".
 

pulsewidth947

macrumors 65816
Jan 25, 2005
1,106
2
there was an article on the news last night about a pint of beer being about £5 in Iceland :eek:

Still I suppose its all relative - do you get paid more?
 

apple_g5

macrumors member
Apr 9, 2005
42
0
Innsbruck, Austria
Damn those stupid taxations...

Example Austria: 1€ is about $ 1.30
US Tax is mostly 8.5% - Austrian is 20%

[US] iBook 12": $ 999 + Tax (8.5%) = $ 1083
[AT] iBook 12": 999 € (+ Tax) = $ 1289

Difference: $ 206 -> that's some nice addons or the 14"

Last time I was in San Francisco, I almost bought a 15" Pb... but didn't do it because of customs... That's just sick... for the same price I get a standart Pb (1.5 ghz) I get the 1.67 ghz in the US)

[PS: Hope my calculations are right ;D]
 

aloofman

macrumors 68020
Dec 17, 2002
2,206
0
Socal
Every island nation has a higher cost of living because so many goods have to be shipped there. (Ask Hawaiians.) In Iceland's case, they lack large economy of scale too. There are only about 300,000 Icelanders, which is fewer than in the entire cities of Pittsburgh, Minneapolis, or Miami. Shipping anything there will cost far more than if it were shipped to New York or London, so I'm guessing most of that diference is shipping costs and taxes.
 

yellow

Moderator emeritus
Oct 21, 2003
15,929
1
Portland, OR
It's expensive, but worth it. Icelanders are very nice folks with a culture all their own, and the country is breathtakingly beautiful.
 

aloofman

macrumors 68020
Dec 17, 2002
2,206
0
Socal
yellow said:
It's expensive, but worth it. Icelanders are very nice folks with a culture all their own, and the country is breathtakingly beautiful.
No doubt. I didn't mean to imply otherwise. I just meant that there are real reasons why Macs would be very expensive there.
 

yellow

Moderator emeritus
Oct 21, 2003
15,929
1
Portland, OR
I agree with your post. Was just making a general observation to those who might not have been to Iceland and were flabergasted by the prices. :)
 

Foniks Munkee

macrumors member
May 15, 2005
38
0
Whats the comparitive average wage though? I mean, are they REALLY that expensive when you take into account the wage?
 

sebisworld

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 24, 2003
344
0
Icelanders do get paid a lot more than the average American guy. But Apple is still very expensive for them. I should get off the Internet though - I'm on vacaition :)
 

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Apr 3, 2004
32,194
6
Adelaide, Australia
Hot dam! Those prices are colder than... Ah nevermind...

Australia's an island nation too, and the prices here are pretty inflated IMO. Damn transport costs! :mad:
 

Chip NoVaMac

macrumors G3
Dec 25, 2003
8,891
25
Northern Virginia
sebisworld said:
Yes, everything is pretty expenive here - but not quite as outrageous as Apple's prices. The VAT rate is 24%.

These are the official prices from Apple. There are no resellers here - there is only one small "Apple store".

But how do incomes compare?
 

zv470

macrumors 6502
Jul 4, 2004
395
18
Japan
Blame the shipping cartels and the Mafia which controls the loading/unloading of goods. :p

But really it doesn't matter how much stuff costs. I'm on a very low wage while also studying and still manage to save up for nice Apple stuff.

note: I'm single with no dependants, I walk everywhere (no car) and I also rent. No large mortgage. I also cook, so no... expensive fast food.

:D
 

roadapple

macrumors regular
Oct 21, 2004
219
0
aloofman said:
There are only about 300,000 Icelanders, which is fewer than in the entire cities of Pittsburgh, Minneapolis, or Miami.
Pittsburgh (334,000 city-2,300,000 metro), Minneapolis (382,000 city-2,900,000 metro), or Miami (362,000 city-3,800,000 metro)

or Toledo (313,000 city-618,000 metro), Wichita (344,000 city-545,000 metro), Fresno (427,000 city-922,000 metro) or NYC (8,000,000 city-21,000,000 metro) in 2000.
 

Chip NoVaMac

macrumors G3
Dec 25, 2003
8,891
25
Northern Virginia
zv470 said:
Blame the shipping cartels and the Mafia which controls the loading/unloading of goods. :p

But really it doesn't matter how much stuff costs. I'm on a very low wage while also studying and still manage to save up for nice Apple stuff.

note: I'm single with no dependants, I walk everywhere (no car) and I also rent. No large mortgage. I also cook, so no... expensive fast food.

:D
I know where you are coming from. If the sale of my TH goes through I will be transported back to the 1980's, with much the same stats you have (save the car - mass trans stinks here in the DC area)

In fact I have a new sport. That is coupon clipping and sales at the grocery stores. In fact I paid $23US on groceries that should last me a week. This included about $15US in "club" savings, and $20US in coupon savings (got to love double coupons). My fast food is Subway, where I buy only on special "deals" and get stickers good for a future "free" sub.
 

Chip NoVaMac

macrumors G3
Dec 25, 2003
8,891
25
Northern Virginia
roadapple said:
Pittsburgh (334,000 city-2,300,000 metro), Minneapolis (382,000 city-2,900,000 metro), or Miami (362,000 city-3,800,000 metro)

or Toledo (313,000 city-618,000 metro), Wichita (344,000 city-545,000 metro), Fresno (427,000 city-922,000 metro) or NYC (8,000,000 city-21,000,000 metro) in 2000.
To be honest, there may be other "tariffs" that drive up their prices on second thought. Why I can not fathom.
 

roadapple

macrumors regular
Oct 21, 2004
219
0
Chip NoVaMac said:
To be honest, there may be other "tariffs" that drive up their prices on second thought. Why I can not fathom.
I thought it was interesting how the mid sized cities mentioned were 8-10x larger markets then Iceland, and how US members would still think it amazing if the small cities I mentioned had an Apple store. But with that logic Apple products should be dirt cheap in China.

I do wonder why the cost are so high ($1000 for an ipod photo :eek: ) The economy seems on par with other western countries, but those prices are crazy, how much for a Civic ($13,260 MSRP)
 

Chip NoVaMac

macrumors G3
Dec 25, 2003
8,891
25
Northern Virginia
roadapple said:
I thought it was interesting how the mid sized cities mentioned were 8-10x larger markets then Iceland, and how US members would still think it amazing if the small cities I mentioned had an Apple store. But with that logic Apple products should be dirt cheap in China.

I do wonder why the cost are so high ($1000 for an ipod photo :eek: ) The economy seems on par with other western countries, but those prices are crazy, how much for a Civic?

There has to be other market forces at play here. Can't believe for a NY minute that Apple would ceed even the small numbers in Iceland.
 

enoch

macrumors member
Mar 13, 2005
33
0
The only thing that is cheap in Iceland is dried seal and spring water. I've often thought about catching the ferry there from where I live, with two large cases of fresh food to cover my costs when I get there.