icePAD vs. Cushtop vs. iLap

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by broncopde, Apr 25, 2008.

1. broncopde macrumors 6502

Hey guys,

I'm thinking I'm going to get a MBP later this summer (15" or 17", not sure yet). Right now my only machine is the last revision 12" Powerbook G4. I am using the iLap with it.

I really like having a laptop desk for use on my lap and on the desk, and seeing as the 12" iLap will definitely not work with a 15" or 17"(It's almost 1.8X the size!), I'm looking to buy another laptop desk for use with the MBP.

I like the iLap a lot, but I'm not crazy about it to the point that I would not try anything else if it seemed to possibly be a better option. Right now, the three I am pondering on are the Macally IcePAD ($25), Belkin Cushtop ($12), iLap ($50-60).

Anybody own the other two and have thoughts or anybody have any opinion at all? I'd love to see other people's ideas on this. The price differences are quite striking, probably the greatest reason I'm looking elsewhere from the iLap. My main uses for the laptop will be on my lap (very little on desk use as I have an external monitor for that) so whatever I get I will use daily. Thanks for any help and conversation.

2. Imap macrumors newbie

I had an iLap, but recently replaced it with a LaunchPad for my 15".

The reason I did so is because I can take the Launchpad with me when I travel. The laptop fits right inside it, and to me it also gives me a sense of security since it provides some extra protection for the screen.

They have some padding in the inside that prevents the laptop from getting scratched. So far it's been great, and I take it with me wherever I go.

Take a look at http://www.604labs.com

3. jjahshik32 macrumors 603

I use an ilap and absolutely love it, whether its on the table or on my lap its perfect. Also you install 4 little thick rubber stubs on top of the ilap that keeps the mbp lifted up so you wont get any scratches on the bottom of the mbp. I've been using the ilap for years now and my mbp is in pristine condition also its made out of aluminum looks perfect with the mbp. :D