iChat 4.0 beta adds GoogleTalk support

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Diatribe, May 7, 2007.

1. Diatribe macrumors 601

Diatribe

As AppleGazette writes, iChat 4.0 now supports GoogleTalk. I think this is great and gives iChat a broader audience and more people to audiochat with.

It is a start but I still think that without MSN or Yahoo protocoll support at least in text, a lot of people will continue to use Adium.

Linky.

2. psychofreak Retired

psychofreak

You can use Jabber for MSN text support...but I love Adium's customisability...

3. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

But Jabber isn't easy to use, Apple could just host a Jabber server to do it I suppose...

4. Diatribe thread starter macrumors 601

Diatribe

It adds another contact list (same as bonjour), which kind of defeats the purpose. Adium is awesome but I'd drop it in a second if iChat did MSN, Yahoo, etc. and there was a nice option for video chatting with Windows users.

Apple should just offer a cross-platform iChat even without adding MSN, Yahoo text this would be a huge gain for iChat.

5. MacBoobsPro macrumors 603

MacBoobsPro

The easiest thing would be for Apple to release iChat for Windows.

6. peterjhill macrumors 65816

peterjhill

? Not sure what you mean? google talk is using the jabber protocol. Why is it harder to use than AIM or MSN proprietary protocols?

Perhaps you are talking about a jabber client? Or perhaps I am missing something completely.

Mac OS X server has a jabber server included. It might make sense for apple to transition .mac chat from AIM to Jabber in the future, but right now iChat only supports one jabber login. What would make sense would be to allow some jabber federation so that you could see your gtalk friends logged in while using your .mac account to send messages.