iChat accounts questions

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by msizzle64, Dec 16, 2007.

1. msizzle64 macrumors 6502

msizzle64

in tiger, whenever iChat was launched, it asked for a username and password but now in leopard, when iChat is launched it automatically logs into my account. multiple people use iChat on my computer and i just want to know if in leopard there is a setting to bring up that box that asks for sn and password like in tiger and panther. i've been messing with the preferences and i cant find anything.

please help :apple:

2. djejrejk macrumors 6502a

djejrejk

Under preferences > accounts there is an option called "When iChat opens, automatically log in." Just deselect this option.

Attached Files:

3. msizzle64 thread starter macrumors 6502

msizzle64

i did that and, yeah it doesn't log in, but now nothing comes up. how can guests log in. i want that box that asks for a sn and password

4. DeaconGraves macrumors 65816

DeaconGraves

I was curious about this myself and just checked the help file for iChat.

"If other people use your computer, you can create a separate Mac OS X user account for each person. When users log in to Mac OS X, they automatically use their own iChat screen names."

Pain in the ass, I know. But it's probably smart if you have a lot of people using your computer.

5. msizzle64 thread starter macrumors 6502

msizzle64

well not alot, just my brother and myself, and sometimes my friends. i dont think i want to create a user account for them :) i just want iChat to ask for a ask for username and password on launch

6. DeaconGraves macrumors 65816

DeaconGraves

Adium still does login prompts if you don't mind switching. Or perhaps even letting any of your friends who want online use that and you keep iChat to yourself.

7. panoz7 macrumors 6502a

panoz7

You just have to make sure that you don't let keychain remember iChat's password. I manually deleted mine out of keychain and this is what I get when I attempt to log on now:

Attached Files:

8. msizzle64 thread starter macrumors 6502

msizzle64

9. panoz7 macrumors 6502a

panoz7

Open up keychain and click on the passwords category on the left. Look through the list and you should see one named AIM: yourscreenname (AIM: panoz7 for me). Select it, hit the delete key, and you're set. Just make sure you don't check off the "remember this password in keychain" option next time you log on in iChat.

10. msizzle64 thread starter macrumors 6502

msizzle64

11. maddigins macrumors newbie

i know this thread is really old, but i was attempting to do the same thing with my ichat so that i am prompted for a password when i log in, but when i go to Preferences then Accounts and i try to delete my password, it just automatically comes back and im back to where i started. help!