iChat/AIM problem

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by nicht, Aug 14, 2009.

1. nicht macrumors newbie

I recently bought my first mac, and am having trouble getting my computer to allow me to video chat with friends/family. I condensed my AIM buddies into my iChat account but iChat doesn't always log into my AIM. Even when it does I still can't video chat with anybody. I don't have the option to click on the video camera inside the buddy list and when someone else does, to invite me to chat - I never get the invite.

I was told to update my software, and I did that. I am trying to connect to talk to someone who has a PC. My iSight camera works with photobooth and I can get 'preview' out of the Jabber list when you first open iChat. I've also checked Connection Doctor and there isn't a problem found through that.

My best guess is that it is AIM, but I deleted it off of the computer and reinstalled version 6.9 and I still have the same problem.

I am at a complete lost, if anyone has any ideas that I haven't tried - please let me know.

Thanks.

2. ewilson6 macrumors 6502

3. 1ofthedavids macrumors regular

I have to agree with ewilson6. iChat/AIM aren't bad for video chatting, but really, Skype is MADE for that kind of stuff. A lot of times when I video chat with my wife at home on her laptop, iChat/AIM get a bunch of lag and other abnormalities, whereas we can use Skype and it works so much better.

4. nicht thread starter macrumors newbie

Alright, that's what I was afraid of. Thanks.