iChat + AIM - the forgotten IM

Discussion in 'macOS' started by bluap84, Mar 16, 2011.

1. bluap84 macrumors 6502

ever since i wanted a mac i have been willing to try iChat. But no1 seems to use it...why is that? Simply because AOL / AIM isnt that great or there are other things out there?

being an old windows user i was always using MSN (which cant be used directly with ichat) is that right? So i have been using Adium and also skype. Also with it being an apple application some of their pro apps such as FCP has a built in ichat feature which would be super handy. If any of my friends used ichat LOL

Who still uses AIM or iChat. I wish ichat was more like adium, i prefer using the apple apps however Adium is good but i dunno....:eek:

2. gorjan macrumors 6502

iChat is great, but as AIM isn't that abundant in Europe not many people use it. Most people use Skype or MSN, and neither is compatible with iChat.

What's really puzzeling is Apple's abandonment of their own software. Why didn't they just make iChat for iOS instead of FaceTime?

3. bluap84 thread starter macrumors 6502

i think thats the largest problem, MSN is all over europe. AIM well not so much. I do like ichat its clean and functional. Just wish they would make it cross provider. and yes...

ichat could be the bbm of apple if it was for iOS

4. zorinlynx macrumors 601

zorinlynx

Because that would be too awesome.

Apple has a corporate policy of not releasing anything that is "too awesome" because if they did, people wouldn't be sitting around with baited breath waiting for the next announcement.

The idea is to release things that are just awesome enough to make people want to buy them without going over. Standard corporate policy! A good example was the iPad not being able to get online through an iPhone when it came out, which would have been obvious but again... too awesome. They only recently added this ability in 4.3.