ichat and aim problem

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by anniehendrick, Sep 19, 2008.

1. anniehendrick macrumors newbie

i have downloaded the latest version of aim and ichat on my macbook and i am trying to ichat with my sister. she also has a mac and we both have aim accounts and built in cameras. when i try to add her as a buddy, she will show up on my buddy list for about 5 seconds and then dissapear. this does not happen with another one of my buddies... can anyone help me figure out why she is not showing up and not allowing me to video chat?? thanls

2. pit29 macrumors 6502a

pit29

when you say you have both aim and ichat, does that mean that you are running both at the same time? get rid of aim and use only ichat. funny things can happen if you try to log into the same account twice at the same time...

3. anniehendrick thread starter macrumors newbie

no im not running them at the same time... i just have them both downloaded. the screenname shows up on the regular aim buddy list but not on the ichat buddy list do u know anything else about it?

4. mrpalmer420 macrumors regular

mrpalmer420

This happened to me as well.

I unfortunately can't tell you what fixed it but all of a sudden a couple of days later my buddy showed up on the ichat list.

Sorry i couldn't be more help.

5. Taildragger74 macrumors newbie

I'm having the same problem

I'm having trouble adding an AIM IM user to my iChat Buddylist... I can add a .Mac IM user just fine. But when I try to add this particular AIM IM user, It "Blinks" or "Pulses" in my Buddy List for about 5 seconds and then disappears. It does however add the user to my Address Book. I can't figure it out. I have the latest iChat 4.0.5 on my MacOS 10.5.5. ???

6. mac.by.jake macrumors member

Same Issue

I'm running iChat 4.05 and os x 10.5.5 - I just tried to add a buddy to my aim list on iChat. It appears for a few seconds and disappears. I took a look at this thread and checked my address book. I can see the person's handle in their contact info in address book. I can see that they are online and can even start a chat (which I didn't know one could do - still a recover mac to pc back to mac user). All the while the name is not showing in my AIM Buddy List window.

Any hints or thoughts would be appreciated.

7. anniehendrick thread starter macrumors newbie

ichat problem

the same thing happens with me. it lets me talk to people that do not show up on my buddy list but never lets me view them on my buddy list. but ichat does not allow me to videochat with the people that do not show up on my buddy list, it automatically declines the invite.

any help? thanks

8. mac.by.jake macrumors member

Have you figured anything out?:confused:

9. Stilatos macrumors newbie

I suggest to use a jabber account for everything.

I use that to communicate through Gtalk, MSN.
    Dont try to use VOIP with Gtalk though u will not make it for that u need a Gtalk brigde to VOIP service and I suggest to login to AIM ...

Anyway, use a Jabber service to have everything under one roof :)

Hope i helped

10. cavershamlad macrumors newbie

11. michael.lauden macrumors 68020

michael.lauden

do you have internet sharing on? that may not be the cause but i know it will decrease about 600 million iChat errors daily