iChat and AOL

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by paulold, Sep 25, 2008.

1. paulold macrumors 6502

I have an AOL account (AOL, not AIM) which I use on iChat for chatting and videoconferencing. And one thing keeps happening that drives me crazy. I sign onto iChat and when I try to send a message to someone, I will get disconnected and can't sign back in. Somehow AOL thinks I am using my AOL screenname on more than one computer and when it's really bad, the security protocols kick in and my AOL password gets killed. So then I have to reset my AOL password, which takes a little time. So basically I'll be trying to chat and then get disconnected for awhile, as I'm trying to get things back to normal.

One thing I have discovered is it does tend to happen when I have Mail open. I have Mail set up to work with my AOL mail, so my only theory is having both Mail and iChat on at the same time is problematic for AOL screennames.

Any ideas as to how to fix this?

2. logana macrumors 65816

logana

Sign up for the .mac (or .me) free trial and use the new name for iChat (still uses the AOL network but different name should mean fewer problems/conflicts)...

Try taking your AOL e-mail account offline in Mail while using iChat to see if that is really the problem...