iChat and internet work but can't receive my emails!

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by BGTHEMOGUL, Apr 27, 2011.

1. BGTHEMOGUL macrumors 6502

Just got to the hostpital to visit a family member and connected to their internet. I'm on AIM via iChat and I'm on the internet which all seem to work just fine. However, my Mail program won't retrieve any of my emails. Does anybody know why or how I can fix this? Have some work I need to get done!

2. patp Guest

how are you connected to the internet at the hospital? is it on the hospital wifi? They may by blocking certain access?

3. BGTHEMOGUL thread starter macrumors 6502

Yes on the hospital wifi network. Not sure why it would block just my business emails from coming through? I get my personal gmail emails just fine and like I said iChat and internet work normally.

4. AcesHigh87 macrumors 6502a

AcesHigh87

It's possible that it's a firewall problem on either your end or, more likely, the hospital's wifi. I can't offer any concrete reason why but a lot of public wifi's block things for one reason or another. It could easily be the case with whatever service provider you're trying to get emails from.

5. BGTHEMOGUL thread starter macrumors 6502

So are there any settings or anything I can try to adjust from my end to see if that's the problem? I'm curious to know if it's my email server for some reason or if it's just the wifi network here at the hospital not allowing it. Ideally I'd like to find a solution.