iChat and Jabber: Priority

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Davvido, May 22, 2010.

1. Davvido macrumors regular

Davvido

I have been searching a lot and haven't found an answer. I even asked on Apple Discussions, but nobody has a certain solution. I use iChat on my Mac and BeejiveIM on my iPhone - both with the same Jabber account. Also, I have Push Notifications turned on and I get all messages on my iPhone even if BeejiveIM is closed - you surely guessed it. ;) What's so annoying? When I chat in iChat, all messages go to my iPhone as well and it "beeps" every second. How can I change the priority of iChat (or BeejiveIM - if possible) to make iPhone not getting messages when iChat's status is set to "Available"? Don't tell me to use Adium instead, 'cause I've used it and then switched to iChat. Thanks in advance for any interest. Regards.

2. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

Actually, you'd have exactly the same problem with Adium. The problem isn't with iChat at all. Jabber allows you to to sign on to the same account with multiple clients, and each client catches all messages sent to it. If you don't want to receive messages, you'll have to sign out. There's no such thing as "priority".

3. Davvido thread starter macrumors regular

Davvido

Yes, there is an ability to set priority and Adium supports it. You just need to set a higher one for major client (here: iChat or Adium) and then only iChat/Adium will receive messages if its status is "Available". Read a bit about Jabber and priority, please. :)

4. dyn macrumors 68030

XMPP (aka Jabber) has priority, it's in the specs. It would be pointless to be able to login in multiple times without being able to set a priority. When sending messages the server does not know where to drop them off. By using a priority it does (the one with the "highest" priority).

The problem lies with iChat, it does not seem to support setting a priority, it uses a fixed priority. Other people have asked this question and some suggest to edit a plist file but that doesn't seem to work. Here's one of the links I found: http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?threadID=2351311

When comparing iChat and Adium I find Adium 1.4 (which still is in beta) to be the best XMPP client. It supports the most XMPP features such as priority and filetransfer through a proxy (useful when using NAT which nearly everybody does so bring on IPv6!). iChat seems to have the ability to use audio/video but I don't know if it uses Jingle for that or it simply uses its own auto-discovery thingy (via Bonjour). I think it does the latter. So better switch to Adium and use that one.

5. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

Tell that to AIM.

Check the poster's username. ;) I found that thread too.

I think the OP has already used and rejected Adium. Out of curiosity, what is it that you prefer about iChat? Adium is extremely customizable, although admittedly it lacks video/audio chat support.

6. Davvido thread starter macrumors regular

Davvido

I just like iChat and can't believe that Apple doesn't give us the ability to change priority - it's a basic feature for a Jabber client! It seems like I will be forced to use Adium... Where else can I ask? :) BTW, editing the PLIST file doesn't give a result (I have tried it all possible ways - before/after logout, before/after closing iChat, even before/after logging out from computer).

7. Daphoid macrumors newbie

Because iChat isn't a jabber client primarily, it's a AIM client masquerading as a iChat client. XMPP is an open standard and not all metrics are required for a client to connect to the protocol.

Adium really is quite customizable and can be quite polished in 2011.

- D