iChat and Mail Help

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by theworstkids, Aug 19, 2007.

1. theworstkids macrumors newbie

So I just moved into my dorm for college and am using their wireless. My iChat and Mail do not work and I'm wondering if anyone can help me out. Thanks.

2. WhySoSerious macrumors 65816

WhySoSerious

Be more specific; what exactly does not work? With iChat, you have to have an AIM (AOL IM account...free) or .Mac account.

As far as iMail...I don't use it. I stick with Yahoo! Mail.

3. theworstkids thread starter macrumors newbie

Well I'm using it with AIM and I can't log in. It just says Connecting... I assume it has something to do with the campus wireless.

4. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

It's probably a port availability (firewall) issue.

1) Look in AIM or whatever you use for an option to connect using an HTTP socket, or else contact your IT people for help (or find an upperclassman who has already figured it out... pretty much anyone who knows what a firewall is and lives in your dorm should be able to help you).

2) My first guess would be that it's an SMTP issue. If your SMTP server is set to be one from your ISP before (cable company, etc), then you should change it to your university SMTP (typically smtp.xxx.edu, with the xxx filled in for your university's domain name). If you're using an SMTP server associated with your e-mail provider and not your ISP (e.g. one from Google, Yahoo, etc), then you should just be able to switch it to login using SSL / STLS: Mail menu -> prefs -> Accounts -> Your account -> Account Information -> SMTP server settings -> fill in the appropriate blanks.