ichat and mail quit on startup

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by yakubons, Nov 11, 2008.

1. yakubons macrumors newbie

ichat and mail just recently began quitting on whenever i attempt to start, i've verified and repaired disk permissions and verified and repaired the disk by booting from the leopard install disk. here are the individual error reports.

ichat version 4.0.5
    mail version 3.5

ichat error report:

Process: iChat 1023
    Path: /Applications/iChat.app/Contents/MacOS/iChat
    Identifier: com.apple.iChat
    Version: ??? (???)
    Build Info: iChat-6080000~9
    Code Type: X86 (Native)
    Parent Process: launchd 137

Date/Time: 2008-11-11 18:38:55.261 -0500
    OS Version: Mac OS X 10.5.5 (9F33)
    Report Version: 6

Exception Type: EXC_BREAKPOINT (SIGTRAP)
    Exception Codes: 0x0000000000000002, 0x0000000000000000
    Crashed Thread: 0

Dyld Error Message:
    Library not loaded: /System/Library/Frameworks/ApplicationServicec.framework/Versions/A/ApplicationServices
    Referenced from: /System/Library/Frameworks/InstantMessage.framework/Versions/A/InstantMessage
    Reason: image not found

mail error report:

Process: Mail 1043
    Path: /Applications/Mail.app/Contents/MacOS/Mail
    Identifier: com.apple.mail
    Version: ??? (???)
    Build Info: Mail-9290400~5
    Code Type: X86 (Native)
    Parent Process: launchd 137

Date/Time: 2008-11-11 18:41:02.044 -0500
    OS Version: Mac OS X 10.5.5 (9F33)
    Report Version: 6

Exception Type: EXC_BREAKPOINT (SIGTRAP)
    Exception Codes: 0x0000000000000002, 0x0000000000000000
    Crashed Thread: 0

Dyld Error Message:
    Library not loaded: /System/Library/Frameworks/ApplicationServicec.framework/Versions/A/ApplicationServices
    Referenced from: /System/Library/Frameworks/InstantMessage.framework/Versions/A/InstantMessage
    Reason: image not found

any ideas?

Nick [/FONT]

2. JediMeister macrumors 68040

Create another user account on the system, set up the same accounts for Mail and iChat, see if it quits or not, if it lets you get that far along. If it quits again, its time to reinstall Mail and iChat from your software restore discs. If there's no issue in the other user, you'll probably need to pull the Mail and iChat plists from your Preferences folder in the user Library. CAUTION: pulling the Mail.plist file from the Preferences folder will clear your email accounts set up in the Mail application, so be sure to copy the ~/Library/Mail folder elsewhere so you can import your POP account mailboxes after re-setting up the account information.

P.S. The iChat and Mail applications can be reinstalled off the Optional Installs package on Mac OS X Install Disc 1.

3. yakubons thread starter macrumors newbie

i've already booted in safe mode and tried to run the programs and they do the same thing, this is essentially the same as creating another user, i've also already tried removing the .plist files, neither of these options worked.

i attempted to reinstall mail and ichat with my leopard disk, but after the install was complete, the same thing happened. I may try deleting mail and ichat from my applications folder and deleting the preference files and then reinstalling again.

thanks for the response, unfortunately not a fix though

i'm still curious to what may have caused this.

4. Catfish_Man macrumors 68030

Catfish_Man

Servicec?

5. yakubons thread starter macrumors newbie

nice catch, that was copied directly from the error message

that c obviously isn't on the actual folder (i just checked), so why is it there in the error message?