iChat and Skype video problems. Snow leopard?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by matthewHUB, Dec 21, 2009.

1. matthewHUB macrumors 6502

Hi guys. I have a REV A macbook air 1.8 SSD running snow leopard. I was video chatting with my gf running 10.5 (latest) on a brand new unibody mbp on both ichat and skype.

The skype video feed from her end was perfect, but mine could never last more than a few seconds before switching to just audio.

The iChat video feed just suddenly cut out completely and the window closes after a few seconds (kind of like when it unexpectedly quits but the program doesn't quit and the buddy list stays. Usually when my video has cut out in the past it says something like "communication error" but this was like the program was quitting instead with no warning.

Is it something wrong with my machine? what could suddenly be wrong with my video feed? Photobooth works fine, as well as ichat when i just press the video button so my camera is fine. Plus, i didn't have any of these problems on 10.5.

Anyone else experiencing these issues?

2. jedivulcan macrumors 6502

In iChat, go to Video > Connection Doctor. Check the Network Status tab and see if there are any errors in the Error tab. My guess is as good as any as to what exactly is causing the problem. I rarely video chat but found strange issues when I used it in Leopard (where situation permitted).