iChat and Vodafone USB stick error, please help.

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by micko2004, Jun 16, 2008.

1. micko2004 macrumors newbie

Dear all,

Please can you help me with this. I have a White Macbook and so does my friend. I am with BT Homehub he is with AOL in the UK. Both of us use wireless routers supplied by BT (Homehub) and AOL( Thomson ST585v6). iChat video chat works fine using this setup.

I recently purchased a Vodafone 7.2mb USB stick. This works very well and has a good signal strength in my area, or when I have tried it away. If I use the stick on my Macbook and try to video chat with other people it works fine (port is set to 443 in iChat on mine) however if I try and chat to my friend on AOL it comes up with the communication area message (error -8 in the log).

I hope someone can help me with this, I have tried a few tweaks but it seems strange it only won't connect to him but does everyone else, and yet from BT Homehub to his AOL works fine.

Thank you in advance.

Mike.

2. Foxile macrumors regular

I'm hoping there's a solution as I have the same problem with my 3G service and using iChat.

I've tried changing the ports and turning down the bandwidth settings, but to no avail. I get the error code 8 communication error.

I have a feeling the problem is due to a crappy Ericsson 3G modem I'm forced to use here.