iChat asks for AIM password every time I launch it

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by iToaster, Jun 13, 2007.

1. iToaster macrumors 68000

iToaster

The title says it well. Every time I launch iChat it asks for my AIM password and this is slightly annoying, even after I've edited many a preference in iChat and verified and repaired disk permissions. Does anyone know what I can do about this? I can take it to a genius tomorrow if I have to. So, lets play What's Wrong With iChat!!!!!!!!!!

2. ebouwman macrumors 6502a

do you use the AIM account or is it randomly asking for the p-Word when you use something else??

3. iToaster thread starter macrumors 68000

iToaster

I use the account a lot, and it's annoying to have to enter it every time I launch the App. because of that.

4. ebouwman macrumors 6502a

That does sound annoying
    maybe if you go into the iChat preffs and retype your password in "Accounts" and make sure that the boxes that say "use this account" and "when iChat opens, automatically log in"

You've probably already done both of those things though.

Do you have any password problems with any of your other apps?

5. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

I don't know the answer, but I'll take an educated guess, in case the previous suggestions don't resolve the problem.

My guess is that you have an AIM password in your keychain, but it's the wrong password, so iChat fails to log in and prompts you for a better password, while failing to update your keychain with the corrected password.

If that's the problem (or if you want to see if that's the problem), here's what you might do: Quit iChat. Launch Keychain Access (in your Applications/Utilities folder). Look under Passwords -> Application for a name beginning "AIM". If you find it, delete it. Then quite Keychain Access and launch iChat. Once again it should prompt you for the password. If it asks whether to add it to your keychain, say yes. Then Quit and re-launch iChat to see if it "stuck" this time.

6. iToaster thread starter macrumors 68000

iToaster

Good news. I turned my MB on in my hotel and logged into iChat and it didn't ask for the password. I don't know if it will happen again or not, but for now it's good.

7. ebouwman macrumors 6502a

Did you only ever have that problem while you've been at that hotel?
    or have you had this problem for longer?

8. StevenBothe macrumors newbie

I had same problem, cleaning it up in keychain access did it for me. Thanks for the tip!

9. kangorillas macrumors newbie

kangorillas

I'm having the same problem and it's so annoying. I really don't think it has anything to do with the Internet. Well atleast in my case. I've signed off different wifi connections and also Ethernet connection and it's still the same thing. Could it possibly be the port?