iChat AV - help grandma connect with her grandkids!

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by aurora borealis, Aug 10, 2008.

1. aurora borealis macrumors newbie

I'm hoping some of you knowledgeable people can help me with this problem. My mom lives far from her grandkids, so my sister and I are trying to get video chats going via iChat AV. Here's the sitch:

We are both running Tiger 10.4.11 and iChat AV 3.1.9 (v446), although she's on a 1.25 GHz G4 with 1.5 GB of RAM, and I'm on a 1.8 GHz iMac G5 with 1 GB of RAM. We both have the exact same videocamera, Canon Elura 70, attached via Firewire. Both computers recognize the cameras fine, no problems there.

When we initiate a video chat, I can see her, but she can't see me. And then, within about 5 seconds, the chat ends with error -20 anyway.

She is at my house right now, so in order to narrow down where the problem lies, we tried connecting her camera to my Powerbook and she signed into her iChat account. We were able to video chat from one room to another this way. (Our only problem was that the video cameras turn themselves off after a few minutes, but that's no doubt a camera setting and unrelated to our main problem.)

So, it appears that the problem is with her home computer or Internet connection, but we have no idea what it could be because it seems that almost everything is the same. She has a cable Internet connection just like me. We've tried setting the Bandwidth Limit under iChat preferences to different settings, but just left it at None during our test here at my house, and as I said, it worked fine.

Does anyone have any idea how we could pinpoint this problem? Grandma would really, really appreciate it! :D I have the error log available from the last time we tried it if anyone thinks that would help diagnose the problem. It's Greek to me.

If I've posted in the wrong forum, please forgive me. Thanks for any help you can provide.

2. aurora borealis thread starter macrumors newbie

It occurs to me that it might be relevant that I am connected through a router. She is not.