Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Doctor Q

Administrator
Original poster
Staff member
Sep 19, 2002
Los Angeles
I got an iSight this week and tried it out. While iChating, I found that more than once I wanted to show some or all of my screen to the other person. I haven't stuck my iSight to the monitor yet (I have weights on the base to hold it in place) so I picked up the iSight and pointed it at the screen, moving it closer to "zoom in" on something. Was the picture shaky? Yes. Was this method crude? Yes. Was it effective? Yes.

Without a screen sharing feature in Chat AV, you could always establish a separate connection using third-party screen-sharing or videoconferencing software, but that seems like such an inconvenience that you wouldn't bother when you just wanted to show somebody a window on your screen for a few seconds now and then.

Who else would like to see this feature added to iChat AV? And until/unless Apple does so, is there a convenient solution?

Stike

macrumors 65816
Jan 31, 2002
Germany
- Couldnt this become a security/privacy issue? Imagine you are broadcasting your desktop accidentially all the time :rolleyes:

- Couldn´t you just use a screenshot of the desk and send it to the person?

I have another idea though: I would like to have the videochat window transparent and/or floating, so that you can use the whole screen AND see/talk to the person! Nice idea?

Doctor Q

Administrator
Original poster
Staff member
Sep 19, 2002
Los Angeles
Originally posted by Stike
- Couldnt this become a security/privacy issue? Imagine you are broadcasting your desktop accidentially all the time
I agree that any videochat/audiochat software should try to ensure that you will know whenever it is on, such as displaying a small window showing what the other person sees. This is true whether we are talking about the current video camera stream or my suggested screen stream.

Couldn´t you just use a screenshot of the desk and send it to the person?
I'm talking about a continuously updated display, not just a freeze frame, and either way it would be much easier to hit a function key and have iChat toggle between sending the video camera signal and sending the screen images.

Would it be like Apple Remote Desktop with a videocam added? Yes, in the sense that one person can display his/her screen to the other, but not in the sense that you get any control over the other person's screen. How much to add and where to draw the line is up to Apple, of course, since iChat AV will be free with the O.S. (or cheap purchased separately) while Apple Remote Desktop is a more expensive product for more "professional" uses. I think showing somebody part of your screen while chatting is a suitable part of a consumer's "iLife". I know I'd use it a lot.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.