iChat can't connect to AIM

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Dmac77, Jul 22, 2008.

1. Dmac77 macrumors 68020

Dmac77

Hi,

I have been having this problem on my iBook for the past week or so. Whenever I try to connect to AIM using iChat, I get an error stating "iChat was unable login to the AOL Instant Messenger service because your screen name or password was incorrect.", I know that my screen name and password are both correct. I can use AIM through iChat on my iMac, and this only started happening a day or so after mobile me launched. The iBook is running Tiger, and therefor doesn't have an update for mobile me. I can also connect to AIM with my iPod Touch. Does anyone have any ideas? I have tried deleting my account out of iChat, and deleting the plist's in my library.

Thanks!

Don

2. Dmac77 thread starter macrumors 68020

Dmac77

3. ebel3003 macrumors 6502a

ebel3003

Are you using an @mac.com address for iChat and AIM, or is it a standard AIM screen name?

I'd download Adium on the Mac giving you trouble and verify that you can login from that computer at all. If so then you should delete your preferences for iChat and then reinstall it.

4. Dmac77 thread starter macrumors 68020

Dmac77

I can login using Adium. I have already deleted the preferences. Do I just delete iChat by dragging it to the trash? And can I just reinstall it from the OS X restore disk?

Thanks for replying!

EDIT: I just finished reading a support article on Apple.com that said how to reinstall iChat. I'll try it and see if it works.

Don