iChat Communication Error

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by 11800506, Feb 7, 2009.

1. 11800506 macrumors 65816

So recently I have been getting communication errors when I've tried to video chat with my girlfriend for unknown reasons from my Macbook Pro (see sig).

About a month ago we video chatted and it worked perfectly fine, but recently we've tried to again and we keep getting communication errors (specifically error -8). The strange part about it is that I can video chat from my iMac which is just a floor down and also connected to my router via Airport. I've tried everything I can to try and fix the issue, but nothing has worked.

As for my ISP, I have Verizon Fios and I've opened the various ports on the router to no avail. I've also set the Quicktime streaming setting lower, I've changed iChat's bandwidth limit and I've turned the firewall off on both the router and in OS X, all things suggested by googling. From this I don't think it's a router error, and it likely isn't her issue since she can video chat just fine with other people and with me when I switch computers.

I just am at a loss for what it could be since I've tried everything. Anyone have any ideas?

2. southerndoc macrumors 65816

southerndoc

In system preferences, set your Quicktime bandwidth limit to cable, lan, etc. instead of unlimited.

In iChat preferences, set your bandwidth to 200 or 500 (whichever works).

Make sure the other user has similar settings.

Finally, open up Keychain in the utilities folder and in the file menu, do a first aid of Keychain (make sure you click repair).

3. 11800506 thread starter macrumors 65816

I already had changed those settings, but I made sure they were changed on her side too and there still was a communication error. I also tried to Repair Keychain, and I did but there were no problems found with it. Thanks for your help though! I just still don't know what to do

4. southerndoc macrumors 65816

southerndoc

Not sure what else to suggest. iChat is buggy that's for sure. Both of you have the latest Quicktime and all other updates I presume.

5. 11800506 thread starter macrumors 65816

Just for future reference if anyone comes upon this thread in the future the issue was that I had Internet Sharing enabled. Don't ask me why it interferes with iChat but disabling it fixed my issues.

6. zanmeister88 macrumors newbie

Ichat Communication Error

I tried everything suggested - nothing worked for me - except for the following.

SYSTEM PREFERENCES
    SECURITY
    FIREWALL
    Select "Set access for specific services and applications" (on both computers)

then select ICHAT application