iChat costantly crashes at my office...

Discussion in 'macOS' started by popvulture, Jul 29, 2008.

1. popvulture macrumors newbie

Hi-

I was wondering if anybody could help me with this problem. We have a small office of probably 10 computers, and we get our internet connection via DSL. Our iChat constantly quits on us, logging us all out simultaneously. What usually happens is that it doesn't appear to have logged us out... I'll be typing for up to a few minutes before I realize nothing's going through. Then I get a message that says "Lost connection to AIM," and my buddy list closes.

This doesn't affect Bonjour. I guess it's an AIM server problem? Does anyone know of a way to fix this?

All I know is that it really makes me wanna pull my hair out. Such a pain, all day long.

2. FuuFuu macrumors regular

FuuFuu

do all of you log off at the same time? if not then its AIM for sure. a lot of people have the same problem. the best solution is to use a substitute for it.

like meebo.com. you can login without downloading the software, its on the internet.

otherwise it might be the internet connection you use, and i'm not sure how to solve that sorry

3. popvulture thread starter macrumors newbie

I think we all get dropped at the same time. Is there anything we can try along the lines of changing the port settings or anything like that?

4. Cool6324 macrumors member

You can try changing the port in iChat under preferences. Try 80 or 8080. This happens often at my college; I guess it is due to the firewall. Also try clicking the use SSL box.