iChat "did not receive a response"

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Mr Skills, Dec 6, 2007.

1. Mr Skills macrumors 6502a

Mr Skills

I cannot iChat (video) with one of my friends. No matter who instigates the the chat, it fails, saying that it "did not receive a response". Text chats still work as normal. Neither of us has the firewall activated, and neither of us has changed anything significant since last week, when it was working. We are both on MacBooks with leopard.

If it's useful, I've got the whole text of the "send a report to Apple" thing. Most of it is gibberish to me, but I notice that buried in there is the .Mac ID of another friend (not the one I was calling). Weird...

2. Aperture macrumors 68000

Aperture

3. Mr Skills thread starter macrumors 6502a

Mr Skills

Port forwarding seems a bit scary... I can probably do it, but my friend would freak if I sent her the instructions!

Also, we've both tried iChatting Apple's test bots (they just show adverts on permanent loop) and we can both connect perfectly. So there's seems to be a specific problem chatting with eachother.

Can anyone help?

4. FF_productions macrumors 68030

FF_productions

Do you have any sharing activated on your Macbook?

Look in system preferences under sharing, check off anything except file sharing and printer sharing.

I find that to be a culprit with iChat at times.

5. cheapa55 macrumors 6502a

the instructions on that link is pretty easy to do if you are familiar with computers.

I have the same problem with ichat. I changed the settings but had not had a chance to test it out with anyone else with ichat (i only know 1 person. LOL)

6. Diatribe macrumors 601

Diatribe

Sometimes it is gone with a simple restart. Don't ask me why but it helps. I have only encountered an unsolvable error in connecting with iChat once. Usually it is pretty reliable.

7. Mr Skills thread starter macrumors 6502a

Mr Skills

OK I went round to her house last night, and a neighbour was kind enough to let us use their wifi so I could sit with both computers in front of me, on different networks, and try to ring myself!

We can both video ichat with anyone else - just not each-other. Text chat works fine, just not video or audio. Port forwarding did not help, nor deleting iChat caches (suggested by Apple support). UPnP is on for both machines. We have tried with 2 different brands of router at my end, and also it did work a couple of weeks ago.

Even AppleCare are scratching their heads at this...

:(

8. diehardmacfan macrumors regular

same anoying problem with me
    i have a netgear wnr834b wireless router...i port forwarded all ofthe ports and i still get communication errors but when i wire up the computer to my router it works just fine. so something with wireless. skype works just fine over wireless

9. Mr Skills thread starter macrumors 6502a

Mr Skills

Mine seems intermittent now. I can occasionally video chat, but never screen share. Unfortunately, I told Applecare that it was fixed after it worked once. Then it stopped working again :rolleyes:

10. Makosuke macrumors 603

This isn't the original poster's issue, but for those seeing an intermittent problem I thought I'd mention that I've seen that happen (periodic "did not receive a response" or similar errors) as a result of a really, really crappy Qwest DSL connection. Then again, that connection is constantly dropping out and having other, similar, issues, so it's not exactly a surprise.

So at least in some cases, it is just a bad ISP.

11. Mr Skills thread starter macrumors 6502a

Mr Skills

At least in my case, when I go to "connection doctor" the green bars are on full and quality is at 100% - when it does connect.

12. asyntek macrumors newbie

iChat "did not receive a response"

I have the same problem, no firewall, all ports openned and only text chats are working. no video no audio.
    Did you get any success???

13. billmister macrumors 6502

i have similar problems. Awaiting responces to my questions.

When my fiance is at home user her wirless connections i CAN'T connect video. I could text though. When she comes over and connected to my LAN via wi-fi, i'm able to see her. When she's home and connected directly to her dsl modem by ethernet cable, i'm able to see her. But not wirless.

My brothers imac. When he's home and connected by ethernet, i'm able to video chat. but when he connects wireless i can't.

when i connect my imac DIRECTLY to my DSL MODEM, no router in between, i'm able to see them in video ichat regardless of them using ethernet or wirless. It's weird. I'm still trying different setting to see what it could be. BTW i have 802.11g and 802.11b

14. southyde4eva macrumors newbie

Any solutions to this yet? I'm having the same problem...no audio, video, or screen sharing. I've tried everything listed but am still not able to connect to my brother cross country.

I was able to do this under Tiger and I'm wondering why I can't get it going after my recent upgrade to Leopard. :confused: