iChat Disconnecting...

tj2001

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 7, 2003
185
0
Florida - USA
I'm so aggravated with Tiger's iChat that it makes me want to freak!

For some unknown reason my iChat will disconnect intermittedly and unexpectedly. I've trashed all iChat plist files, wiped cache, reset the PRAM... nothing seems to of fixed it. HAs anyone else been experiencing this or know of a fix please?

Read more here:
iChat 3.0
 

efoto

macrumors 68030
Nov 16, 2004
2,627
0
Cloud 9 (-6)
Just an idea but check your firewall/proxy/general connection settings to see if there are possibly any hitches in there. At work there is a nasty proxy setup that I don't have access to, and although I can get iChat to connect (in Panther) it will randomly disconnect all the time. Sometimes it is on for hours at end and then other times it is disconnecting every five minutes.

Best fix, check your settings, then use AdiumX ;)
 

DXoverDY

macrumors 6502a
Apr 19, 2005
810
0
efoto said:
Just an idea but check your firewall/proxy/general connection settings to see if there are possibly any hitches in there. At work there is a nasty proxy setup that I don't have access to, and although I can get iChat to connect (in Panther) it will randomly disconnect all the time. Sometimes it is on for hours at end and then other times it is disconnecting every five minutes.

Best fix, check your settings, then use AdiumX ;)
no it's an iChat problem, nothing else.

adium sucks, sadly.
 

efoto

macrumors 68030
Nov 16, 2004
2,627
0
Cloud 9 (-6)
DXoverDY said:
no it's an iChat problem, nothing else.

adium sucks, sadly.
Adium sucks? What are you on? :p

Why do you say that? I would love to know your reasoning behind that....especially if it is more than just your opinion, but either way I would like to hear what you view is....
 

devman

macrumors 65816
Apr 19, 2004
1,240
4
AU
FWIW...

according to various sites (rumor sites and other blogs) 10.4.2 contains several iChat fixes. Also according to various rumor sites 10.4.2 is expected very, very soon.
 

efoto

macrumors 68030
Nov 16, 2004
2,627
0
Cloud 9 (-6)
munkle said:
Unfortunately Adium isn't a scratch on iChat if you want AV capabilities ;)
True, so for AV I guess you are "stuck" with iChat however for general purpose IM....I think Adium is far superior both in customization options and general interface. If the comment of Adium sucking was based solely on lack of AV then the statement should be rethought into a more specific arguement. If Mr. Derivative (DXoverDY) still feels Adium is lesser in other areas, I am still really interested in that opinion. Not saying we all are not entitled to our own opinions, I am just eager to hear a new point of arguement.
 

DXoverDY

macrumors 6502a
Apr 19, 2005
810
0
efoto said:
True, so for AV I guess you are "stuck" with iChat however for general purpose IM....I think Adium is far superior both in customization options and general interface. If the comment of Adium sucking was based solely on lack of AV then the statement should be rethought into a more specific arguement. If Mr. Derivative (DXoverDY) still feels Adium is lesser in other areas, I am still really interested in that opinion. Not saying we all are not entitled to our own opinions, I am just eager to hear a new point of arguement.
Well my experience is fairly limited with Adium, it's been pretty buggy for me so I try to avoid using it unless I really have to.

Let me first state that I wish I could use iChat right now, however there's this wonderful bug in the Tiger version that doesn't allow multiple connections from multiple locations. I leave my computer at home on 24/7 with Trillian connected at the same time. When I goto school, I can fire up iChat and it just acts like the PowerBook is the only machine on, all IMs come straight to the "non-away" logins. This is useful for me since I am back and forth a lot and I don't need multiple screen names. But the Tiger iChat disconnects all other locational connections when it logs in, making it utterly useless for me.

My opinion on Adium is mostly that.. opinion.

Adium doesn't do this and is the reason I've been using it. I hate the buddylist for one. It's a clunky pain to move things around in, but I will give it that it's very customizable, it just doesn't work as easily and transparently as I would like. It doesn't act like a Mac app at all, which is another pet peeve.. this exists in FireFox for me as well, and Opera.

It's certainly more customizable but at the same time it doesn't act like a Mac app. It also feels like interface standards be damned, it's like running a Linux app... most of the time you'd wish the programmer knew a thing or two about making an app that made sense without having to guess how it works. Oh and while being customizable, it burries the options and makes things rather confusing there too. I'm not stupid, I can figure it out, but I would rather spend my time doing other things if you know what I'm saying.
 

devman

macrumors 65816
Apr 19, 2004
1,240
4
AU
DXoverDY said:
Let me first state that I wish I could use iChat right now, however there's this wonderful bug in the Tiger version that doesn't allow multiple connections from multiple locations. I leave my computer at home on 24/7 with Trillian connected at the same time. When I goto school, I can fire up iChat and it just acts like the PowerBook is the only machine on, all IMs come straight to the "non-away" logins. This is useful for me since I am back and forth a lot and I don't need multiple screen names. But the Tiger iChat disconnects all other locational connections when it logs in, making it utterly useless for me.
According to the site linked below in 10.4.2 iChat now supports multiple machine sign-ins using the same account.

http://www.lunddal.dk/blojsom/blog/lunddal/Apple/Rygter/2005/06/16/Lister_over_fejlrettelser_i_10_4_2.html
 

tj2001

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 7, 2003
185
0
Florida - USA
I wish this wouldn't have turned into a iChat - Adium pissing contest. For the posts that tried to shed light on the issue I greatly appreciate it. I did try turning the firewall off also that didn't help.

I hope it's fixed soon :)
 

tj2001

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 7, 2003
185
0
Florida - USA
10.4.2 No Help...

Even with the new OS update and supposed iChat fixes it is still doing it. Not even the "allow multiple logins" stop it. It's bummer!!!!!

:mad:
 

Koodauw

macrumors 68040
Nov 17, 2003
3,937
169
Madison
yeah I get the same problem, although its rarely when Im at the computer. usually some random point when ive been idle for a long period. Kinda sucks. Perhaps check out the Apple forums, I'm sure there are others with this problem.
 

DJY

macrumors 6502a
Dec 20, 2003
843
0
Canberra AUST
I use both Adium and iChat.
Adium is great for MSN and ICQ...

But I think iChat is miles above other programs when it comes to AV.
My only beef with it - since the updates...
is that the iChatAgent seems to crash alot - and I have to force quite in the Activity Monitor.
 

7on

macrumors 601
Nov 9, 2003
4,940
0
Dress Rosa
ditto on the ichatagent. I also hate that iChat now won't automatically disconnect when there's no internet. Back in Panther I used iChat as a "connection" monitor to see when I lost a wifi signal or when the cable went out. Now I sit idly by in iChat and it appears to be connected. After about 2 minutes or so I become frustrated and walk all the way into the den where the cable modem is - and it became disconnected.

I also hate the fact that iChat won't automatically reconnect for me anymore.
 

Diatribe

macrumors 601
Jan 8, 2004
4,230
21
Back in the motherland
iChat sucks. The only thing it has going for it is AV.

Adium on the other hand is pretty much perfect. Once it gets working file transfer, which will happen this fall, it's going to be the only viable option for instant messaging. I'll keep my iChat ready for AV but that's it.