iChat Effects on PPC

Discussion in 'macOS' started by pianoplayer1, Oct 27, 2007.

1. pianoplayer1 macrumors 6502

pianoplayer1

I'm really upset about this issue... I have a 1.9 GHz imac G5 and feel that my computer is perfectly capable.

Does anyone know any way to enable the effects on a PPC mac? I want this thread to be the master thread for this issue.

I was thinking if I could get a friend with an Intel mac to send me their ichat, maybe leopard installs a different version for PPC??

Also, maybe there's a way in the terminal to trick iChat (maybe a preference or system file) to think that I'm on an Intel.

PLEASE give suggestions because maybe one thought will help other people or me create a full solution.

2. QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

It's probably installed but because it sees you have a PowerPC it doesn't allow you to see the options. Hopefully someone will hack this.

3. pianoplayer1 thread starter macrumors 6502

pianoplayer1

Yea, I'm looking inside the iChat package contents but I cant find any keywords like PPC. Theres only 1 plist on effects and it seems alright. So probably ichat just checks ur mac. Hmm

4. DanB91 macrumors 6502

according to the sys req u just need dual ppc processor for the non backdrop effects. but i cant even have that come up (even though i dont have a dual processor but still)

5. pianoplayer1 thread starter macrumors 6502

pianoplayer1

Yea i hate how apple restricts us. I bet u that if i close every other app iChat will DEFINATELY have enough horsepower. Someone HAS to come up with a hack soon enough.

Someone should email Ecamm - they made the PowerBoost thing for multi-video chats a while back.

6. pianoplayer1 thread starter macrumors 6502

pianoplayer1

7. mynameisjesse macrumors member

I wouldn't even recommend trying. On my 2.16ghz core duo Macbook Pro, those effects take A LOT of horse power. Trust me, don't bother.

8. hh83917 macrumors 6502

I got a PPC dual 2.7 ghz G5 and in iChat > Video > Connection Doctor > Capabilities, it said "Backdrop Effect X (Insufficient CPU)". I thought the dual cores runs like a Macbook pro, and my video card is ATI X850 XT with 256MB. I don't see why the effect like backdrop won't run on my G5 which is still comparable in speed with the current MacBook Pros. :mad:

9. pianoplayer1 thread starter macrumors 6502

pianoplayer1

Hmm thats interesting. I thought that since my 1.9 G5 is almost as fast as a slower core duo that it would be able to work sufficiently.

10. francisturgeon macrumors newbie

grrr

I have the same damn problem!!! It makes me really upset!! I don't care even if it's lagging, I just want to be able to do it. I hope someone will patch it or something like that!

11. pianoplayer1 thread starter macrumors 6502

pianoplayer1

Yea I just checked my capabilities - such BS

EDIT: Can someone with an intel mac please post their ichat app? I think it MIGHT be different - although this solution is probably too easy.

Attached Files:

12. iAra macrumors newbie

yeah, I just got leopard installed on my iBook G4, and I was so excited to try this out. I knew that leopard for PPC would be run down somewhere. This is lame man, I payed $130 for this?! Apple better patch this up. :mad:

13. wesleyh macrumors 6502

Why are you upset? You have an old ass G4.. Not every application will work..

14. g4cubed macrumors 6502a

g4cubed

Well I think he has a right to be just as I am. First because not everyone has the money to buy something new and up to date. I'm on a Power Mac G5 dual 1.8 and I can't run it either. If you have the hardware requirements for the OS then you should be able to use ALL the feature of that OS, though it may lag, be slow or whatever, but still be able to use it if you wanted.

Just my 2¢.

15. vohdoun macrumors 65816

vohdoun

If it doesn't run on hh83917's Dual 2.7, wouldn't it be amusing if it's still the same on a Quad G5.

16. ray_uk macrumors member

This is incredibly disappointing

This is incredibly disappointing, I can almost not believe it, I have been backing up everything since wednesday to do a clean installation, went and the store on friday, got 10.5 came home, Installation was quick and smooth, no issues with applications not working and now I find out that I dont get get the ichat or photo booth video effects because I have a PPC Mac. Thats just unbelievable neglect, they could have at least have just left them in and warned PPC owners of slow performance so that we can decide for ourselves if we would like to use it or not.

I really couldn't guess if they are going to make these effects available but right now this feels a lot like "if you want that feature upgrade to a Intel system"

17. vohdoun macrumors 65816

vohdoun

Just like that one app they done in iLife08, which one was it that was ditched from PPC, iMovie? iDVD?

18. pdpfilms macrumors 68020

pdpfilms

I'll be testing it out on my quad next week, i'll report back when i do.

19. g4cubed macrumors 6502a

g4cubed

Yep same here. :mad:

20. iAra macrumors newbie

Well sorry I can't afford a fancy new MacBook Pro. I'm currently saving and waiting.

Since I exceed the minimum requirements I should be able to run this, or else why would minimum requirements exist? o well... I hope someone hacks it.

21. sananda macrumors 68020

i also have an ibook g4. we don't meet the minimum requirements: "Photo Booth and backdrop effects require an Intel Core Duo or faster processor".

they're still great computers though. mine's certainly not an "old ass", as wesleyh would have it. my model was sold until may 2006.

22. wesleyh macrumors 6502

You might want to read this: http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?p=4404592&posted=1#post4404592

Seems there wasn't such a limitation in the beta.. and it ran fine.

23. pianoplayer1 thread starter macrumors 6502

pianoplayer1

24. billchase2 macrumors 68000

billchase2

has anyone figured out how to get these to work on PPC yet?

i've been searching around for a solution but haven't found anything yet....

25. pianoplayer1 thread starter macrumors 6502

pianoplayer1

If you look at the post before (with the link) someone posted a torrent to a developer build of ichat. However, it stops at 12% and although he posted to rapidshare, i have no idea what it is because it was taken down by the macrumors management.