iChat/External Hard Drive/Sound Problems.....

Discussion in 'macOS' started by kflook, Nov 24, 2007.

1. kflook macrumors member

So this is what happened:

I plugged in my external iSight cam. iChat froze to the point that force quitting didn't work, and i had to unplug the iSight. Upon doing so, iChat then quit, and my computer gave me the "You unplugged a hard disk without ejecting it first :mad:" warning. Though, I never unplugged the external drive (which I use for Time Machine). I thought a restart would help.

After restarting, and having the iSight plugged in, I had no sound, and volume controls wouldn't work. So I restarted again, without the iSight this time. I got my sound back, but the external HD wouldn't show up.

One more restart (again, without the iSight)...and the external HD is back, but spotlight has now decided to re-index my entire Time Machine backup, and I'm back to no sound, or volume controls working.

I repaired Disk Permissions (which takes forever and gives me the 9 SUID warnings as usual since Leopard). But everything seems to be ok. Any ideas on what I can try now?

Thanks in advance.
    Kyle

2. ab2650 macrumors 6502a

This sounds like it may be more of a software or hardware issue; I'd be leaning towards reinstalling Leopard if that's an option.

Before doing anything, have you tried resetting PRAM?

3. kflook thread starter macrumors member

Thank goodness.....that seemed to have done the trick. :)