Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ThE.MeSsEnGeR

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 26, 2009
Santiago, Chile
Hello everyone,
with all the rumors about iChat being a native app on the new iPhone and everything. What are the possibilities? I mean, how would Apple make this App a killer? (for me and I guess for a lot of people)

first and foremost, a very important feature which has been asked for a long time now, iPhone2iPhone chat à-la-BBM. don't start telling me about all those apps that try to replicate this feature, because it's not the same as having a native App doing this. not everybody is going to download this app or that app, just for the fact that they don't want to have a zillion account here and there. with a native iPhone2iPhone chat, everyone already has the app, you don't need to open an account, just your phone number, or maybe a PIN coding system like BBM, or idk, they might come up with something original. ;)

Another crucial feature, is multiple services, like Meebo, eBuddy, etc... it could include AIM, MSN, Yahoo!, (and maybe Skype & Facebook)... that would be like, the ultimate chatting app IMO. eventhough it might be far-fetched for Apple to do this, but oh well, a person can dream.

And of course, location-aware chatting, like loopt or something.

what do you all think? will Apple deliver the ultimate iChat experience?

JDee

macrumors 6502a
Aug 31, 2008
Ireland
just your phone number, or maybe a PIN coding system like BBM, or idk, they might come up with something original.

I doubt they would make the whole 'username' / 'PIN' idea a telephone number. What about iPod Touches that may have a camera, or may just have chat abilities?

ThE.MeSsEnGeR

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 26, 2009
Santiago, Chile
I doubt they would make the whole 'username' / 'PIN' idea a telephone number. What about iPod Touches that may have a camera, or may just have chat abilities?

yes you're right, I forgot about the iPod touch getting the 4.0 treatment as well :eek: well, idk, like I said, they might come up with a new idea, that's nothing new for Apple. :rolleyes:

tac22

macrumors 6502
Jun 16, 2009
but the ipod touch isn't getting a front facing camera anytime soon. maybee eventually

But i agree, i think apple needs to have and app that makes it easy.

And personally i think it should just be the calling app, and something where if you call someone that has another iphone or maybe just another phone with a front facing camera there is a button that request video call after your connected.

it would be more of a killer app if it was video calling, not just a chat system where you need to be signed in.

ThE.MeSsEnGeR

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 26, 2009
Santiago, Chile
and, maybe, just maybe, they include some of its features to the Desktop iChat as well, imagine you log on to iChat on your mac, and you can easily chat with all your iPhone/iPod touch friends whenever you want to! :D and maybe they'll add the multi-service feature on the Desktop iChat too??

I <3 :apple:, if they do this!

ThE.MeSsEnGeR

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 26, 2009
Santiago, Chile
but the ipod touch isn't getting a front facing camera anytime soon. maybee eventually

But i agree, i think apple needs to have and app that makes it easy.

And personally i think it should just be the calling app, and something where if you call someone that has another iphone or maybe just another phone with a front facing camera there is a button that request video call after your connected.

it would be more of a killer app if it was video calling, not just a chat system where you need to be signed in.

ok, maybe the iPod touch doesn't get the Video chat feature, but it'll be great anyway with everything else.

about the video call, yes I agree that that should be integrated into the phone.

and about the 'signed in' thing, i think its better if you sign in once and that's it. it stays that way.

TomxHow

macrumors member
Aug 11, 2009
I completely forget about the possibility of an iPhone version of BBM. That would be great if they could replicate something similar to it.

tac22

macrumors 6502
Jun 16, 2009
ok, maybe the iPod touch doesn't get the Video chat feature, but it'll be great anyway with everything else.

about the video call, yes I agree that that should be integrated into the phone.

and about the 'signed in' thing, i think its better if you sign in once and that's it. it stays that way.

Well if its integrated into the phone app you wouldn't need to really ever sign in

and it would be cool if apple had a way to join your phone number together with an ichat screen name, so you can video chat with someone with and iphone from your computer if your home.

So on the iphone it would use the same call system, instead of having 2 apps one (calling app) to talking to people with iphones and 2 (ichat app) for chatting with people in a computer

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.