iChat for iPhone will use tons of data!

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Poetscholar, Jun 5, 2010.

1. Poetscholar macrumors newbie

Maybe I'm crazy but if the new iPhone has iChat capability then it will surely use a lot more data. If you switch to the 2gb plan when you upgrade you'll get an unpleasent surprise when you use that cool iChat video conferencing and in a matter of days get a message saying you've reached your limit. I would definitely stick to the unlimited plan!

2. boricuazo macrumors member

It's probably because the network won't be able to handle it. Although it is likely that the front facing camera will only be usable for ichat over wifi (at least in the beginning i hope).

3. manjaap macrumors member

4. zub3qin macrumors 65816

zub3qin

So will iAd

iAd could potentially use up a lot of data too, with all the streaming video etc...

So we in effect will be PAYING to watch ads.

5. anjinha macrumors 604

anjinha

Do you need to post the same thing in several threads? Just don't click on the iAds and you have nothing to worry about.

6. shandyman Suspended

there are already ads on the iPhone, iAd's just means they won't be as buggy and intrusive. so you're already paying for ads....

it really baffles how people think that iAds is a big issue as there's been ads for ages already.....:rolleyes:

7. iMrNiceGuy0023 macrumors 68000

might be wi-fi only....or video quality will suck like youtube over 3g

8. auero macrumors 65816

AT&T does have video chat plans... It'll be a separate fee if anything.

9. Dr Kevorkian94 macrumors 68020

it probably just goes towards ur 2gs of data per month or it could be free as it is the selling point of the new iphone. they have the commercials all ready to put on tv with video chat. i personally could care less because i probably would not use it even tho i am getting the new phone.

10. cobie454 macrumors regular

cobie454

I have a feeling it will be only available using wifi as well, just because of the fact that it will use a lot of data

11. deannnnn macrumors 68000

deannnnn

Yeah it wouldn't surprise me at all if AT&T charges extra for video chat over 3G. Honestly I'd be willing to pay $60 a month for unlimited data with no restrictions and a reliable network. Neither of which seem to be coming our way any time soon.