iChat for iTouch??

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by jakfrost, Mar 17, 2008.

1. jakfrost macrumors member

The only thing keeping me from considering an iTouch as a traveling companion, instead of my Pro, is the lack of the video feature in iChat. When I am on the road for several days my wife and I really enjoy being able to sit down and have 'eye to eye' communication for a few minutes each evening, catching up on our day...also great for the grandkids.

Anyone got any feeling for the possibility that feature might be possible in the near future for the iTouch? It would be pretty much perfect for my needs if it did!!

Jim

2. chas0001 macrumors 6502a

chas0001

That would mean that the camera would have to be moved to the front of the phone, otherwise you would not be able to see the person. I don't see them adding a camera to the Touch.

OR

You could get one of these : http://www.macdaddyworld.com/?p=38. Not exactly pocket sized :rolleyes:

3. jakfrost thread starter macrumors member

Yea thats pretty clever...but, I was referring to the iTOUCH, not the iPhone...since the iPhone doesn't really work here in most parts of Canada yet, ( another story...), and using a small USB cam...I hadn't thought about audio.
    So I guess if I go with the iTouch for 'light days' I'll have to just 'forgitboutit' as far as iChat Vid goes.
    The rest of the time I can lug the 17" Pro along :eek:.

Jim

4. stockcerts macrumors 65816

Personally....I'm going to be happy when any chat client is available for the ITouch. I heard that AIM is ready to go (but not available yet) as a result of the recent SDK release.

5. anti-microsoft macrumors 68000

I wish iChat would support MSN!:mad::mad:

And I hope an Adium-ish solution comes to the touch!

6. chas0001 macrumors 6502a

chas0001

If you are Jailbroken have you tried Apollo IM? . It works with AIM, ICQ, MSN and .MAC.

7. stockcerts macrumors 65816

I prefer not to jailbreak, so I'll wait for the legitimate releases to be provided.