iChat freeze

Discussion in 'macOS' started by emmasmom, Jan 12, 2008.

1. emmasmom macrumors newbie

Help, please.....We are two long-distance (domestic US) Mac users with Powerbooks and Leopard who are finding our iChats constantly interrupted by video freezes. The audio continues to work, but the images pixelate and then freeze. Any suggestions? And, if it's common, is there a fix or software update? And, if it can't be fixed, any alternatives to iChat? Thanks -- please send replies to "pamandmailbox-receipts@yahoo.com"

2. gasport macrumors 6502

gasport

Same problem, as soon as I connect the video freezes. The other person can see my frozen video but I am never able to connect to his. I get the spinning disk and have to force quit ichat to close it down. The audio is perfect. Would appreciate any suggestions....

3. emmasmom thread starter macrumors newbie

ichat freeze solution

It appears that, at least for us, the problem was Comcast. We called them and increased the upload/download speed on both our ends for an extra $10/month and were able to video chat fine after that. They were able to set it up immediately over the phone. If you have Comcast, that could very well be the problem.

Here's what they advertise, so just opt for the 8Mbps/768Kbps:

"Choice of Blazing Speeds: Do you like your Internet
    super fast, or superduper fast? Choose between
    standard 6Mbps/384Kbps or, for $10 more a month, 8Mbps/768Kbps."

Hope that helps!

4. bernardt macrumors newbie

can't get video chat to work at all on any of three machines since the leopard install

5. emanofmystic macrumors newbie

ichat

I have the MacPro book. My ichat freezes every time I speak with my grandchildren in New Orleans. I have tried everything posted including increasing my bandwidth with comcast. All for naught. Can anyone help.

6. palebluedot macrumors 6502a

palebluedot

I have the same problem. I try to talk to my girlfriend in Japan but one of our iChat videos inevitable freezes then the other. Nothing internet wise has changed for us and it used to work pre-10.5.5 - prolly another royal cluster$@#$ by Apple that wont be fixed for 8 updates. :/

7. lberk macrumors newbie

Not a Comcast issue

I work for Comcast, this is NOT a Comcast issue. I have a 16/2 internet connection and see the problem with my MacBook, but not with my iMac. Both computers are on the same LAN. I am thinking something has been install on MacBook, that is not on the iMac that is causing this, but I cannot figure out what it could be.

8. lockjawdavis macrumors newbie

Same f**ing thing!

I also have encountered this 'freeze' problem. My Mac at home and my MacBook Pro at work connect fine, but after a minute or so of quality video conferencing the screens freeze. Any recommended fixes out there??

9. ref26 macrumors 6502a

ref26