iChat help needed!

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by BGTHEMOGUL, Apr 15, 2011.

1. BGTHEMOGUL macrumors 6502

Is there a way of sending a "mass message" to your iChat contacts that are online without having to copy and paste a message to each person indvidually?

Also when you send a file transfer and drag and drop the file to the chat and press enter to send it, how can you tell if they downloaded it or received it? I don't see any type of status bar or anything like that.

2. Dave Felix macrumors 6502a

Dave Felix

Im not sure about the first question about mass texts but im sure there is a way. As for the second question, there should be a "file transfer" window show up like the "download" folder when you download from Safari. There it will show all transfers from all users.

note: it may not pop up as a front window, most likely in the background.

3. BGTHEMOGUL thread starter macrumors 6502

Hmmmm I'll have to check next time and see if it's in the background because I've never seen any window pop up anywhere or a transfer status in the actual chat.

4. BGTHEMOGUL thread starter macrumors 6502

5. Texas04 macrumors 6502a

Texas04

Click "File" - "new Chat", and in the To: window there should be space for you to put in multiple screen names or just names that in your address book are linked to screen names for AIM/Jabber/etc.

6. BGTHEMOGUL thread starter macrumors 6502

You would still have to select each name one by one that way. There's got to be a "broadcast message" type option or at least I would have thought there was one with iChat.

Also, how come when you add a new buddy to your contact list it puts them at the bottom instead of in alphabetical order like the rest of the list? It's annoying having to drag their screen name and figure out where they should be alphabetically like the rest.