Ichat help, webcam not working

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by mvsaradhi, Jun 1, 2008.

1. mvsaradhi macrumors newbie

Hi ,
    I have this problem with iChat for a long time , I Configured my gtalk to the iChat that comes with leopard.
    when ever i wanted to send webcam request to my buddies, it is not giving me that option, can someone help me here,
    Thank you in advance,
    Looking forward eagerly for replies..
    Vijaya Malla.

2. sharky05 macrumors regular

Is this an isight or some other external webcam? iChat only likes iSight unless you have other bits of software installed

3. mrpalmer420 macrumors regular

mrpalmer420

I am having this problem sa well. i think i chat is not fully compatible with google talk. I cannot do Vidoe or voice, only text chatting.

4. kkat69 macrumors 68020

kkat69

Did you make sure to open the needed ports in your firewall/router?

Taken from googles own support page on google talk. (keyword GOOGLE)

5. mvsaradhi thread starter macrumors newbie

that is the isight not some external webcam , i tried all ways i could find, if you have any idea , please help me out here,
    thank you

6. mvsaradhi thread starter macrumors newbie

Hey , can you please tell me how to open those ports..
    i will be waiting for your reply ,
    thank you

7. kkat69 macrumors 68020

kkat69

For your router I cannot help you. You'll need to read your router manual or visit your routers website support page.

However let's start from the beginning, when you start your video does your webcam show up? Meaning do you see yourself.

If you do, it may very well be the people your trying to reach are the issue. They're ports might not be allowing you to connect. If your saying you can't even click the button, then that may be something else entirely.

So first step, can you see yourself when you have your iChat open (that confirms the camera is recognized and working)
    Not sure that opening the ports will allow this button to come up.

I'm not at my Mac or I would have more things to check. Will have to wait until tonight unless someone else helps before I get home.

8. mvsaradhi thread starter macrumors newbie

HI , thank you for your help but the problem is i cant even get my webcam button active, when i am on chat with someone, i dont know what to do ...
    i am really counting you because you know what i am talking about .
    looking forward for your reply
    thank you

9. kkat69 macrumors 68020

kkat69

So your saying (just to clarify) that on all your buddies in your buddy list, the green video icon is not clickable?

Also is it clickable next to your avatar?

If either of them are, one next to a buddy will initiate vid chat, if the one next to your avatar at the top is clickable, does it show your isight video?

Attached Files: