iChat integration with MSN, GoogleTalk, Yahoo IM???

Discussion in 'macOS' started by jasonr704, Aug 10, 2007.

1. jasonr704 macrumors newbie

I'd like to use iChat for all my IM and SMS texting, but it's not totally easy to setup.

I'm needing some assistance setting up iChat for use with a MSN and Yahoo IM account. I have Adium installed as well, but am having trouble adding those account into iChat using the Jabber setting. What is MSN and Yahoo's IM server addres/settings? Step by step setup would be great!

Thank You!

P.S. - Apple should make it easier to add these other services in the future. Just supporting AOL and .Mac are very limiting. Out of 44 people I'd like to add nobody uses aol anymore and only a handful have .mac accounts.

2. MacDeac macrumors newbie

MacDeac

Won't Work

iChat can be used to connect to AOL and Google Talk, but it cannot be used to connect to MSN or Yahoo. You will have to use Adium for that. You can also setup Adium to connect to AOL and Google, so you may just want to use it instead of iChat.

If you want to know how to setup iChat for Google Talk, go here.

3. Objectivist-C macrumors 6502

Actually, it can via Jabber transport (text-only, though).

4. MacDeac macrumors newbie

MacDeac

Very interesting! I took the time to set that up tonight. However, it appears that it is not possible to be connected to both a Jabber server with transports for MSN and Yahoo while simultaneously being connected to Google Talk.

I also don't like having two different buddy lists: one for AIM and one for Jabber. Any way around this?