iChat iPhone4

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by coz, Jun 17, 2010.

1. coz macrumors member

Will they make iChat for iPhone instead of just phone to phone? Since it's over wifi it sounds like it should be simple?

2. donbenjy macrumors 6502

I've always felt that ichat had great potential, but isn't pushed enough by Apple.

Possibly there might be a future update for ichat that allows us to call phones (for a fee), but I doubt that iOS will enable it as it currently is.

Skype however....

3. Fraaaa macrumors 65816

Fraaaa

iChat and FaceTime are two different things.

FaceTime works by enstabling a connection between two phones (with same or different carriers) to make a video call, which before was not possible with different carriers, or different devices and had a different pricing fee for video calling.

If FaceTime will be used on different devices as Apple registered it as an open standard(which might be happening) that will open some doors in video comunication that so far has not worked so well.

iChat is different, doesn't work with any carrier but just over the internet is not ment for video calling over the phone: however, that doesn't imply that it won't be possible, but seemed that no one is looking into that.

If Skype will do the same as Apple did/Apple allows Skype of using API for videochat on the iPhone probably you will end up paying a service as well.

Bottom line: FaceTime yes, Skype maybe, iChat no.

4. donbenjy macrumors 6502

Ultimately though, Facetime doesn't do anything which ichat doesn't in terms of functionality. When you look at it, it's actually more complicated technically as it has to connect via a regular voice transmission before opening wifi. This means that, for example, the ipod touch won't be able to use facetime if it gets a camera in September.

Apple haven't done anything revolutionary here - its just that you can be assured that it 'just works' with the iphone.

I don't think skype will need the 'videochat API' (if there even is one) because all they actually need is access to the camera. It then is just a case of streaming that data to another skype user using the skype protocol. If skype bring video chat to the iphone, it will be completely data based.

Makes me wonder if either Apple will update iOS4 at some point to include just data calling, or if skype will be politely asked by Apple not to develop a video chat option (or implement it using the facetime open standard).

Personally, I like the idea of facetime, because it means I can have ONE contact number to allow me to connect with everyone. I'm fed up of having half my friends on ichat and half on Skype.

5. Fraaaa macrumors 65816

Fraaaa

Well, I think is a bit revolutionary if other phone company will adopt FaceTime as standard.

I meant the front camera API, but anyway I agree on the technical stuff you were saying.

6. tallyho macrumors 6502a

tallyho

No it doesn't.

7. coz thread starter macrumors member

I use iChat occasionally and I just thought it would be cool if I could use it over the iPhone 4. Since it's over the internet, I thought it would be simple for them to port it over to the iOS. I guess we'll see.

8. donbenjy macrumors 6502

are you sure? I watched the video, but I couldn't see anything that suggests that!

Even if there is a facetime button within contacts, it doesn't mean that it won't have to call the other person to request that they facetime with them (yes, I just verbed facetime).

Please prove me wrong - I would love it if it were possible through only wifi! :cool: