iChat - is it crappy?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Amblinman, Jan 4, 2008.

1. Amblinman macrumors regular

I'm using iChat for the first time with another Mac switcher, and often when we send each other a video chat request, the other guy doesn't get it. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. Please don't tell me this is a natural quirk with the program...?

2. tersono macrumors 68000

tersono

Hmm - I've not had an issue with iChat in that way - I find myself wondering whether AIM's servers are on the fritz today....

3. tkidBOSTON macrumors 6502a

tkidBOSTON

I don't use the video chat too often but I haven't had any problems with an iChat to iChat connection before.

4. Applespider macrumors G4

Applespider

looking through rose-tinted spectacles...
    Are you always in the same locations when trying to video chat? There can be problems with certain router set-ups which won't allow you to video chat. Alternatively, it might just be transient internet conditions - you do need a reasonable amount of bandwidth available to make the chat possible.

5. Amblinman thread starter macrumors regular

We're both using .mac accounts to chat, does that mean we're using iChat to iChat connection? Sometimes we'll get messages from AIM, so now I'm wondering if that's an issue.

Also, in response to one of the questions, we're both on high speed cable providers. I don't think bandwidth is an issue. We did use it successfully a couple of times yesterday. It's just weird that sometimes we won't get each other's chat request.

6. Eric Lewis macrumors 68020

Eric Lewis

its crap cause u cant use msn with it

7. masse macrumors 6502a

masse

I never have problems with ichat...I use an external webcam too...

8. Rotary8 macrumors regular

I have my mbp's ichat auto-enabled at home as a baby monitor for when i'm at work. works quite well, smooth video. No baby yet, but it's all setup and ready to go in a few months. =P

9. tkidBOSTON macrumors 6502a

tkidBOSTON

If you're trying to use .mac screen names and you're getting messages from AIM, you're doing something wrong.

My conversations have always been AIM to AIM.

10. Amblinman thread starter macrumors regular

I was looking at the server settings and it looks like it's tied to an aol.com server. Is that supposed to be the case?

11. soms macrumors 6502

soms

Video iChat has been really messed up lately after the newest patch. I suggest you post about it on the apple website in their tech forums, as there are thousands of posts about problems with iChat.

12. Amblinman thread starter macrumors regular

I currently have my Mac hooked up to the internet through a Linksys wireless router. Could that be the problem? Should I switch to an Airport?

13. WildPalms macrumors 6502a

WildPalms

....actually, you can. Its a little messy but using a Jabber account you can use MSN on iChat.

14. WildPalms macrumors 6502a

WildPalms

First thing to remember... iChat is using the AIM network. iChat is an AIM and Jabber client, so it is at the mercy of all those issues that can affect any AIM or instant messaging client. I have not had any issues with iChat using the AIM network on my end, but I know that people who have had issues, have discovered it was a setting on their router, or firewall, etc etc etc

I'd suggest that your issue is external to the client and more likely a network problem. Aside from that iChat has been rock solid for me.

15. WildPalms macrumors 6502a

WildPalms

Ahhh yes, the venerable Linksys... so glad I tossed mine away. Kicked it to the kerb in fact - literally.

16. Mydel macrumors 6502a

Mydel

Extremely helpful :rolleyes:

17. WildPalms macrumors 6502a

WildPalms