iChat...kinda useless? Mini-rant

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by amoda, Jun 11, 2007.

  1. amoda macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Aug 9, 2006
    #1
    Okay I think that iChat is amazing. It has cool features, effects and just looks much nicer than the other IM programs. But since like only 1 in 10 of my friends actually has a mac it's kinda useless. Now since I'm not a software or even a computer science major I don't know why they can't allow all the features of iChat to be compatible with msn or yahoo messenger. So I'm wondering is someone out there can give me a blue collar explanation of this since it's really annoying me. I've been converting as many people as I can but it's futile to try and switch every single person I know.
     
  2. Ibjr macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Jun 29, 2002
    Location:
    Eastern seaboard
    #2
    Why? Apple's target market is the United States and most people here use AIM.
     
  3. amoda thread starter macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Aug 9, 2006
    #3
    Yeah...the US market is a big one for Apple but it does cater to other markets. If they are going to be selling the laptops to Canadian, European, Asian and so on markets then they should also cater to those markets. AIM is unheard of outside the US (duh, it's in the name).

    Also according to the ICIA World Factbook the number of computer users in the US=164.1million, multiply that by Apple's 5% marketshare in the US= 8.2million.

    According to the United Nations Environment Programme the number of global computers is over a billion, but let's say a billion. So world minus US=835million times Apple's global market minus US of 2.6%=21.7million.

    21.7million>8.2million

    Either way if it's only simple coding then I don't see why they should make iChat completely useless outside the US instead of unleashing it's complete potential. iChat is a joke here instead of being seen as an amazing peice of communication software.
     
  4. zap2 macrumors 604

    zap2

    Joined:
    Mar 8, 2005
    Location:
    Washington D.C
    #4
    Not to me!!

    Yea, all my friend use AIM, and I use iChat, so there is no worries. Still I can't see how support for MSN or Yahoo Messenger would bad
     
  5. sananda macrumors 68020

    Joined:
    May 24, 2007
    #5
    i live in england and thailand and i only know one person using AIM/AOL and everyone else uses msn. so i would love it if ichat would work with msn.
     
  6. Yvan256 macrumors 601

    Yvan256

    Joined:
    Jul 5, 2004
    Location:
    Canada
    #6
    I don't know anyone here in Canada who uses AIM/AOL, about 95% of my friends are on MSN (bleh), the other 5% are on ICQ.

    iChat may be a cool program, but it's useless if I need to have Adium running at the same time because iChat can't connect to MSN and ICQ.
     
  7. Fillado macrumors member

    Joined:
    Jul 23, 2006
    #7
    Personally I still wouldn't use iChat if it supported MSN unless it supported *all* MSN features. Such as Sharing Folders, Audio & Video Chat and Personal Messages. I really doubt that though - so i'm stuck using Messenger:Mac since it's the "best" there is for Mac OS X :(
     

Share This Page