iChat logo stolen?

Benjamin

macrumors 6502a
Oct 27, 2003
Portland, OR
I don't think it's stolen at all. The ichat icon and those look the same but really aren't, even the basic shape is different, and anyone with photoshop can make a glassy looking icon.

zap2

macrumors 604
Mar 8, 2005
Washington D.C
i recall someone here pointing out a site will stole Spotlight icon on a web page.. i think Apple should really be taking down companys that steall ideas not images. MS any one

miniConvert

macrumors 68040
Benjamin said:
I don't think it's stolen at all. The ichat icon and those look the same but really aren't, even the basic shape is different, and anyone with photoshop can make a glassy looking icon.
It does look mind-bogglingly similar though...

Still, I can't imagine there being any cause for litigation or whatever...

iJawn108

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Apr 15, 2006
That was so lame of creative to do...

I sent them, I'll let you guys know if anything comes of it.

.Andy

macrumors 68030
Jul 18, 2004
The Mergui Archipelago
Mitthrawnuruodo said:
I'm with Benjamin on this one... those logos/icons are similar, but not the same, at all, look at the reflection, the shadow, the shape of the "pointer", the angle, etc:
;).

How the hell could a graphic artist sit down and copy the iChat logo and not feel completely ashamed. Being creative is the essence of their profession and to be given that Job must've sucked. Definitely not one for the portfolio.

thequicksilver

macrumors 6502a
Sep 19, 2004
Birmingham
It's a blue speech bubble. I'm all for protecting work and chastisting others for stealing content when this is what's happened, but this is a blue speech bubble, nothing more.

Please, don't waste either yours or Apple's time. Don't bother reporting it.

Gnorn

macrumors regular
May 7, 2006
The Tavern, Thornwood
thequicksilver said:
It's a blue speech bubble. I'm all for protecting work and chastisting others for stealing content when this is what's happened, but this is a blue speech bubble, nothing more.

Please, don't waste either yours or Apple's time. Don't bother reporting it.
But then again... what if some car company designed a blue oval with white curly letters in it spelling their brand's name ("Vroom" for example). Would that just be a blue oval? Nothing more? :rolleyes:

This design is clearly ripped off from Apple.

calyxman

macrumors 6502a
Apr 17, 2005
You people need to find something better to do with your time rather than worry about some corporation's patent and trademark rights. You're not employees of Apple, and if you think you're doing a noble thing, I can help point you in the right direction.

DeathChill

macrumors 68000
Jul 15, 2005
Gnorn said:
But then again... what if some car company designed a blue oval with white curly letters in it spelling their brand's name ("Vroom" for example). Would that just be a blue oval? Nothing more? :rolleyes:

This design is clearly ripped off from Apple.
Are you serious? Really, you can't be this ignorant. Do you think Apple is the first and only company to ever use a blue oval as a speech thing? No. DEAR GOD NO. Apple's not the only company in the world, you know.

munckee

macrumors 65816
Oct 27, 2005
.Andy said:
How the hell could a graphic artist sit down and copy the iChat logo and not feel completely ashamed. Being creative is the essence of their profession and to be given that Job must've sucked. Definitely not one for the portfolio.
I agree, HOWEVER, you'd be shocked at how often the client dictates how that sort of thing goes. Then it becomes the job of the designer to either dump the client (easier said than done when bills need to be paid) or create what the client wants without infringing on copyright issues.

Case in point, I was recently working on a brochure design for a local client. After a few rounds of revision and consistently cutting the copy down, they came to us and said "we want it to read X, Y, Z". When we asked why, they said, "well, this company has X, Y, A, and this other company has X, B, Z, and we like those so we're combining them".

At that point you either do what they want despite the obvious fact that it's crap, or you argue and risk losing the client for future projects. You kinda pick your battles and make the work as good as possible.

Malfoy

macrumors 6502a
Nov 1, 2005
Real has been rocking a blue quote box in their logo since the beginning of their existence. Real should shut them all down.

*Strong sarcasm.