iChat Logs?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by wayland1985, Jul 6, 2009.

1. wayland1985 macrumors 6502

Let me start off by saying that when I first got my Powerbook, I used Adium all the time. iChat just didn't do it for me. Since Leopard, though, iChat seems a lot more usable. I've tried switching back to Adium, but I'm no longer impressed.

I don't use video chat very often... But file transfers are much much smoother in iChat (Adium worked well when I was at school, on the same network as my classmates, but now that I'm off campus, it just doesn't work for me for some reason... I've tried endlessly to get it to work, and usually I'm able to only send a single file after I first install adium, then it's useless).

ANYWAYS: I like iChat. I like it a lot. But, I'm curious as to whether there is a trick to viewing old iChat logs? I tried spotlight, but it doesn't show enough information about the log for it to be utterly useful.

Chax is a nice idea... but it seems to be buggy and leaves iChat unstable for some reason....

2. Macafarian macrumors newbie

Macafarian

The only way I know is if you have enabled iChat logs: preferences > messages > automatically save chat transcripts to ... (Default iChats).

3. devburke Guest

I think he means a good way for viewing them, not saving them.

Honestly I'm not sure what you mean about Chax being buggy and unstable. It works amazingly for me, without ever once giving me trouble, and I don't consider iChat to be complete without it.

4. wayland1985 thread starter macrumors 6502

For some reason, whenever I install it, my AIM crashes every few hours. I tried it a few months ago, with no luck. What's odd is, after uninstalling, the problem still exists. The only way I was able to fix it, is to reformat.

I'm not sure why chax gives me the problems. It's really odd...

5. devburke Guest

Weird. Are you sure you had the right version? The newest is Leopard only, but an older Tiger version is there too.

6. wayland1985 thread starter macrumors 6502

Pretty sure... I downloaded it straight from Ksuther.com...

I think Chax is alright as well... I don't see any huge benefits over standard iChat. (I thought the previous-chat logging would be nice, but it turns out I don't miss it as much as I thought I would, from Adium...)

I'm just hoping Apple fixes iChat with Snow Leopard. Maybe they'll add a nice log viewer? The away message bug would be a nice fix too... As would a Facebook chat integration (although this seems like kind of a longshot for reasons unknown)