Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

laxrules

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 3, 2007
When ever i try to video chat with someone it says (My name) is not responding. And then it says report to apple or dont report. Somebody please help!

TheAnswer

macrumors 68030
Jan 25, 2002
Orange County, CA
Hi...welcome to the boards. Be patient, sometimes it takes time for the right person to come along and troubleshoot your particular problem(s).

First off...post exactly which machine you have, how much memory, etc. Have you run software update lately? (i.e. is your OS current?)

Then tell us if you added any software or anything like that right before you started having this problem.

Then, for starters...find the Disk Utility app (Applications/Utilities/Disk Utility) and repair permissions. That probably won't solve the problem outright, but it's a good first step.

I suspect it may be a preferences corruption, given that you are also having issues with your remote. But I'll leave out any more suggestions until you've posted more about your machine.

Also (just saw your other thread)...don't download any third-party software until we're done troubleshooting your current problems.

Good luck!

laxrules

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 3, 2007
Hi...welcome to the boards. Be patient, sometimes it takes time for the right person to come along and troubleshoot your particular problem(s).

First off...post exactly which machine you have, how much memory, etc. Have you run software update lately? (i.e. is your OS current?)

Then tell us if you added any software or anything like that right before you started having this problem.

Then, for starters...find the Disk Utility app (Applications/Utilities/Disk Utility) and repair permissions. That probably won't solve the problem outright, but it's a good first step.

I suspect it may be a preferences corruption, given that you are also having issues with your remote. But I'll leave out any more suggestions until you've posted more about your machine.

Also (just saw your other thread)...don't download any third-party software until we're done troubleshooting your current problems.

Good luck!
all i can say is WOW! Thanks for that response. Well anyway im running the Mac book that costs 1099$ i believe it has 1 gig of ram, and 80 gigs of memory. i also have the latest software

TheAnswer

macrumors 68030
Jan 25, 2002
Orange County, CA
all i can say is WOW! Thanks for that response. Well anyway im running the Mac book that costs 1099$ i believe it has 1 gig of ram, and 80 gigs of memory. i also have the latest software

Ok...good to know.

Try repairing the permissions in Disk Utility and restart the computer. Then try to video chat again. If you still get an error, let us know the exact wording...for example when it says "[account name] is not responding", is that your account name for your computer or the account name your have to use iChat (i.e. your AIM/.Mac account)?

Also try audio chat and see if the error comes up at that time as well.

laxrules

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 3, 2007
Ok...good to know.

Try repairing the permissions in Disk Utility and restart the computer. Then try to video chat again. If you still get an error, let us know the exact wording...for example when it says "[account name] is not responding", is that your account name for your computer or the account name your have to use iChat (i.e. your AIM/.Mac account)?

Also try audio chat and see if the error comes up at that time as well.

1. my name thats registered on my comp AKA MY REAL NAME. also, it only happens with vid chat

TheAnswer

macrumors 68030
Jan 25, 2002
Orange County, CA
1. my name thats registered on my comp AKA MY REAL NAME. also, it only happens with vid chat

Just to clarify, it's your real name that's entered into your address book, right? Or is the shortname that's on your home user folder?

And the exact text is "[your real name] is not responding"? Any other parts to the message (like error numbers or such)?

ingenious

macrumors 68000
Jan 13, 2004
Washington, D.C.
This is probably not an iChat.app issue. It's probably more of an issue with his network setup.

Do you have your OS X firewall turned on (System Preferences > Sharing > Firewall)?

Do you have a router on your network?

What about a DSL or Cable modem?

What about the person on the other end? Does this problem occur with every person you try to chat with?

TheAnswer

macrumors 68030
Jan 25, 2002
Orange County, CA
This is probably not an iChat.app issue. It's probably more of an issue with his network setup.

Do you have your OS X firewall turned on (System Preferences > Sharing > Firewall)?

Do you have a router on your network?

What about a DSL or Cable modem?

What about the person on the other end? Does this problem occur with every person you try to chat with?

Agreed...It sounds similar to the Error -8 issue, but I was waiting for the OP to give the exact wording of the error message before I turned him loose in a search for all the threads on how to try and deal with that problem.

ingenious

macrumors 68000
Jan 13, 2004
Washington, D.C.
Agreed...It sounds similar to the Error -8 issue, but I was waiting for the OP to give the exact wording of the error message before I turned him loose in a search for all the threads on how to try and deal with that problem.

Ah, sorry. I just didn't catch your drift, I guess. :)

TheAnswer

macrumors 68030
Jan 25, 2002
Orange County, CA
Ah, sorry. I just didn't catch your drift, I guess. :)

Yeah...I hadn't really gotten to that point yet, I figured it best to try and rule out any issues with his machine first and then move into the network, ISP issues...which are a lot murkier and harder to troubleshoot (for me at least :eek:).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.