iChat, no camera

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by deniseb228, Jul 7, 2007.

1. deniseb228 macrumors newbie

I am getting the message "There is no camera attached to this computer" when I open iChat (which worked until sometime recently) and the enable camera drop down in the file menu is checked but grayed out. In response to another thread on this forum I unchecked shared files with no luck. I also repaired permissions, used Safe Boot, Cocktail, MacJanitor, and logged on as another user. I am unable to locate my OS disk to reinstall iChat or a clean install (which I hope will solve the problem if all else fails). I downloaded Skype and get the same message. Same thing with Photobooth too. I have a Macbook (intel) which has an internal camera. I've searched and googled with no success. Has anyone heard much about this?

2. deniseb228 thread starter macrumors newbie

Update for anyone else having a similar problem. The system profiler does not show my camera so it was suggested in another forum that it may be a hardware problem. Until I get it to the Genius Bar I am doing a few other things. I reinstalled the last OS update (I think it was 10.4.9) with no change. I used the developer tools and reset the USB ports and no luck. I have been told that the last security update has been causing a lot of problems so I am planning a clean install (if I ever locate my disk). If that doesn't work I will be forced to take action but I am still praying for a software problem since my warranty has expired. I haven't tried dropping it on the floor but that is under consideration also. :)

3. deniseb228 thread starter macrumors newbie

Dont skip the basics

As many do, according to MacFixit, people ignore zapping PRAM because they view it as useless (it never did anything for me in the many years I have used a Mac). This is the last time I will skip basic steps to troubleshoot a problem. I did this two minute step and now everything is working fine again.