ichat not showing buddy list

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by mike789, Jun 19, 2008.

1. mike789 macrumors member

hi, i've had no problems with my new mac until now. When I open up ichat it logs on and shows that no one is online. I know that is not true because I go onto adium after that and tons of people are on. Sometimes when I close ichat, then reopen it to see if that will work, it signs me on and off really fast a million times. Anyone know what's going on? How do i get my buddy list back?? Thanks.

2. Julien macrumors G3

Julien

Have you tried clicking on the iChat icon (talk ballon) in the top right Menu Bar and selecting Buddy List?

3. mike789 thread starter macrumors member

no, where is that? I don't see a talk balloon anywhere except in the dock. sorry newbie here

4. Shandi:) macrumors newbie

I have been having problems with iChat too. I installed the software updates yesterday, and all of a sudden, iChat would connect and disconnect several times until it said "You've logged in too many times.. blah blah blah." I first deleted the com.apple.iChat.AIM.plist... then I had the same problem as you. I could log on, but my buddies wouldn't show up. Soo... I deleted the com.apple.iChat.plist (you can do this by going to Users/(your name)/Library/Preferences). The next time I opened iChat, it lead me through the setup again. And I had my buddies back.
    Hope this helps!

5. Julien macrumors G3

Julien

Look at the very top right of your screen (all he way into the right top corner). In the Menu Bar you will see the Spotlight icon (magnifying glass). Now start looking to the left of it until you see the Talk Ballon icon (no camera in the middle).

6. minor clarity macrumors newbie

Try this!

I read this somewhere: Try removing your iChat from your Applications and then re-adding it. I had the same problem where my buddy list disappeared and this worked like a charm.

7. wassupnowdawg macrumors newbie

none of those worked for me

just clearing the plist didn't do it,

but between clearing the ichat plists

( /Users/*username/Library/Preferences/com.apple.iChat.AIM.plist )
    ( /Users/*username/Library/Preferences/com.apple.iChat.plist )

and my ichat user caches

( /Users/*username*/Library/Caches/com.apple.iChat )

that did the trick.

8. DABurack macrumors newbie

Thanks, Julien

Had same problem, solution worked.